• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The rear end's in rangers.

mrfishjosh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Ok so I'm not sure if this is the right section, Mod plz move if not... But I have a 2005 ranger XLT with 4wd. When i engage the 4wd, I believe the rear end locks up. its an open rear end, but in 4wd on a corner it will spin the tire.(like a 4wheeler) im wondering, if what im seeing is my truck actually locking the rear end in 4wd and im also curious as to what type of locker this is. I believe its electrical? and can I add a switch to just lock the rear end?(so i can spin 'em both in mud or snow...) and if its elec. can i just run power to it to lock it...
axel code 97 if that helps...

THX much guys!

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
are you driving your truck on dry pavement with it in 4wd? 4wd is going to send power to the tire with less traction no your rear end doesnt lock up its an open diff. 4wd drive a lot different than 2wd

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
yeah, 4x4 shouldn't be locking up the rear (physically impossible) if you have an open rear. If you have a locker, its after market and probably wired into the 4x4 tell late circuit, so yeah, find the wire and you can run it to a switch.

Couldn't tell you what kind if any locker may have been put in there by a PO, beyond the fact that its electronically activated.

what do you mean by "spin the tire"? If one is breaking free then you don't have a locker, you have a lead foot. A locked locker will make the rear end skip through turns.

mrfishjosh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Was driving in my muddy yard. The fronts lock up tight too. in gravel you can hear the two inner tires spinning. I was asumeing it was a factory locker. Could it be somthing wrong with the 4WD?

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Ok so I'm not sure if this is the right section, Mod plz move if not... But I have a 2005 ranger XLT with 4wd. When i engage the 4wd, I believe the rear end locks up. its an open rear end, but in 4wd on a corner it will spin the tire.(like a 4wheeler) im wondering, if what im seeing is my truck actually locking the rear end in 4wd and im also curious as to what type of locker this is. I believe its electrical? and can I add a switch to just lock the rear end?(so i can spin 'em both in mud or snow...) and if its elec. can i just run power to it to lock it...
axel code 97 if that helps...

THX much guys!
You don't have one.

But, toss up your axle code (or check the tech library to find it) to see if you have an lsd (limited slip differential)

Open diffs can act funny.

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
^^^ he said his axle code is 97

its just because your in 4wd when you turn in 4wd the tires slip a little its normal and nothing to worry about

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
SVT Raptor is the only Ford that has ever come with a factory locker.

I doubt anything is wrong with your 4x4. In 4x4 all 4 wheels are mechanically linked, you shouldn't need 4x4 in gravel, you are probably skipping a tire, but because you are on a surface that gives, it breaks free instead of skipping.

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Oops. Missed that. Same as my truck. Open 4.10's.

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It may have an aftermarket locker.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
That's a pretty bold, and untrue statement.

Lots of older Fords including my dream car have/ had factory Detroits.

70 Mach1 R-code (drag pack), 427SCJ 4spd 9" Detroit locker

mrfishjosh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
This is how this all started. My driveway is gravel, and in front of my gate is a long farly steep hill. So I have to stop and open the gate. Then when im in 2wd, the tires spin easly, so insted of babying it, i put it in 4wd, then to park i have to make a turn, there are markes on the gravel where the front and rear tires are "skipping" and it feels like both fron and rear are Locked solid. It also has a lot of friction... the best way to explain it... when im turning in 4wd. If im rolling in 4WD, clutch in, and turn it is like i touch the brakes. If im stopped in 4wd in a turn it takes a lot of power to get her movin. Is this normal?

PS My last 4wd was like 2wd(1 wheel with power in the front and rear.) so i know what thats like.

PPS What is this module? Sry bout the photobucket

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
dude listen your truck is fine its in 4wd on a surface that has decent traction. your truck will like skip or feel tight. you are fine. you can take it out of 4wd while you are rolling and push the clutch in one you get off the hill or get the truck moving put it back to 2wd push in the clutch and let the clutch out and keep going. stop worrying about it your truck is fine.

mrfishjosh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Thank you thats what I need to know. I thought it was a problem, I feel much more reassured now. Thanks! :)

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Wrong.

09 and 2010 fx4 f150's come with a factory electronic rear locking differential. (Same one as the Raptor)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals