• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

This is Why You Never Run Extended Oil Change Intervals on The Ford Ecoboost Engines! - FordTechMakuloco

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
It’s got my interest enough that I want to take a gander at that screen. I also want to see if there is any build up and if it can can be cleaned.
Be sure to let us know what you find out.

I'd be surprised if there is anything at all in the filters on your truck. The motor in the video was road hard and put up wet.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Be sure to let us know what you find out.

I'd be surprised if there is anything at all in the filters on your truck. The motor in the video was road hard and put up wet.
For a maintainer, certainly. For the average vehicle user, he thought he was doing good. He changed the oil every time the reminder came up. The manual told him it was ok. Never mind the "10,000 miles or once a year" part in the manual.

That being said, being that the girlfriend does in home health care and still has a child living at home, she's hitting damn near 10,000 miles every 6 frigging months. Most times I catch it before the reminder comes on but it's not far away. Thus why I'm very interested to see what the screens look like.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
For a maintainer, certainly. For the average vehicle user, he thought he was doing good. He changed the oil every time the reminder came up. The manual told him it was ok. Never mind the "10,000 miles or once a year" part in the manual.

That being said, being that the girlfriend does in home health care and still has a child living at home, she's hitting damn near 10,000 miles every 6 frigging months. Most times I catch it before the reminder comes on but it's not far away. Thus why I'm very interested to see what the screens look like.
Sure, makes sense.

But as you know, once a motor starts "eating itself up" it's like a snowball rolling down hill.. little problems become huge in a hurry. I'll bet those screens got plugged up a few thousand miles before it died, and not before. All that metal in the oil means sudden death, not a prolonged slow death.

I change our Rangers oil / filter every 4,000 miles... I'm retired so the intervals are about twice a year.

But back when I was working, I was changing oil on the Tacoma about 4 times a year, and that was at every 8,000 miles (Mobil 1). I don't think I'd be driving a turbo motored car if I was putting that many miles on the motor. Simply because of the oil change intervals.

I'm still not sold on these Direct Injection & Turbocharged motors. They sure are fun to drive, but I'd rather have a conventional fuel injected V-6 or V-8, where the fuel washes the valves and there's no turbo to deal with and the oil stays nice and clean.

Just too much to go wrong with these new fangled high strung DI Turbo'd Pinto banger motors. At this point in my life... less is more.

Again... looking forward to you sharing what your exploratory surgery reveals.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Those "intelligent oil life monitoring systems" are aimed at ideal driving conditions- no idling, no extreme temps or dusty conditions, and no bumper to bumper traffic. Six months or 5000 miles is the most I would ever recommend. Using Motorcraft oil and filters, nothing exotic. Keep in mind that the company mandating yearly oil changes will guarantee the engine to 50,000 miles, after that you're on your own. I've had 90+ cars and I've only had the engine apart more than once on my Mustang- not because of failure- to make it faster/louder/better. Vehicles I bought in good condition or new I never took apart. Engines are expensive, oil changes are dirt cheap by comparison.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Someone should tell my younger sister this. From 2009 to 2013, she had my 98 Ranger 3.0. She put over 40,000 miles on it and never changed the oil. Oil was Valvoline Max Life 20W-50. Funny thing is, it didn't hurt a thing. Truck is going to change to 190,000 soon, and doesn't burn or leak oil at this point. And I drive it like I stole it. I'm doing 10,000 mile oil changes on it now, using 10W-40 Synthetic.
3.0’s are about impossible to kill, so there is that.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals