• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

those with lockers up front- what in the back? Locker/Posi/Spool?

purpony

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I am looking at maybe putting a locker up front in my D35. I was just wonderin what others with front lockers run in the rear - Another locker? Posi, or Spool? The truck I am building is going to be a pavement pounder most days but from time to time see some off road adventures. I am thinking just a plain old posi in the rear would work best for the on/off road and a locker up front for an little extra traction?

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I got a detroit Truetrac limited slip for the 8.8 going in this weekend. Couldnt tell you much but everywhere Ive looked says they work really well. Let you know when I finally test mine. I will install a Aussie lockerup front later this year.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
lockers and spools both require alot of finesse in poor road conditions. i just got home from driving my b2 with a mini spool in the rear and you have to be VERY gentle in the icy/snowy/ hail conditions we have had in the cleveland area today. it is plenty drivable but if you have been known to carelessly slip and slide around in a open diff truck without doing it intentionally you are in for a wake up call if you put a spool or locker in the rear. my b2 only sees the roads when my DD is down like today or the roads are so bad i cant take my car. a manual trans can make it even worse because a little to much gas when you let of the clutch in a turn will spin you in circles. as a rule of thumb i dont think people who DD there rigs should run a spool but i am yet to have a ratcheting locker in the rear of one of my vehicles so i cant speak form experience, but i do know if you bury the pedal in a turn it will lock up and spin you around in poor road conditions. its a buyer beware situation as far as i am concerned. as a side note spools take a significant amount of life expectancy off your tires.

Last edited:

Capt Jay

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93 body.
Make / Model
Ford(ish)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Spools/mini-spools not only take life off your tires it is also a lot harder on the axle. On dry pavement and a heavy foot you put large loads on the shafts and carrier. If you can get a posi. i'd go that route.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I run Lockrites front and rear.

In the past I had both axles welded and didn't have any problems in the winter. In fact, the welded rear behaved very well on slippery roads.

I don't know how the truck will handle with the lockers...we'll soon see.

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
my b2 is fully locked front/rear an its only a "trail" truck.. sees the mud an mostly a tough truck... my dd has a l/s in the back an its a damn good improvement over the open diff

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've had Lockrights on both axles for years, daily driver--many winters--both a Ranger and then my B2--my first child came home from Columbus Regional in the middle position of the Ranger's 60/40 in a snow storm. The rear one you forget about in a week. It's a non-issue. The front one takes a little getting used to.

You have to understand--the Lockright unlocks with no force at all. On my truck I can spin the back tires by hand and they unlock--you hear the tock-tock-tock-tock-tock. The rear end behaves itself just fine--it is very predictabe. The front is a little different because the relative speed between the tires changes so much. It does not herk and jerk though--it just gives an unsteady feeling through the steering wheel. For instance, when you steer a little to the right the left tire speeds up because the ground pulls it faster than the inside tire. You feel the wheel push a little to the left because for a moment, only the right tire is driving. So on snow you feel the wheel a little. But you quickly get the feel of what is going on. I don't loan my truck to certain people in the winter because I don't want them freaking and slamming on the brakes or jerking the wheel and killing themselves. But if you have the brains to operate something like a chainsaw without cutting you head off you will be able to figure out your winter lockers. I drive along just like it was a sunny day out on icy roads because I have the feel of it. And I also know that if I go in a ditch, I'm driving right back out again. I pulled a Jeep with 35s out that had 2 open axles. Both his higher tires were spinning. I wouldn't dream of not having real lockers on both axles because I hate to be stuck.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
I don't loan my truck to certain people in the winter because I don't want them freaking and slamming on the brakes or jerking the wheel and killing themselves. But if you have the brains to operate something like a chainsaw without cutting you head off you will be able to figure out your winter lockers.
haha, i bet 95% of the people i know could not drive a vehicle with anything more than a Ls much less a 5 speed with a locker.....

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I've always failed to see how a limited slip in the snow/ice is any safer than a locker, when conditions are slick I don't think there is enough traction between both tires to let them differentiate so it acts the same a locker/spool.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
I've always failed to see how a limited slip in the snow/ice is any safer than a locker, when conditions are slick I don't think there is enough traction between both tires to let them differentiate so it acts the same a locker/spool.
Definitely. Before I swapped the locked 8.8 in, I could almost effortlessly break the rear end loose with the worn out L/S I had. The only difference I have noticed with the locker is now I know exactly how it is going to behave. I don't have to wonder whether it is going to unlock mid-slide- and not in a smooth way.

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have an ARB up front and a PowerTrax out back. Soon to be an ARB in front and a Detroit out back when the axles get swapped.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I run a Lock-Rite in the front and a factory limited slip in the rear. I haven't had that setup in snow, but so far for street driving it works fine.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
if your truck sees mostly pavement i would run posi both front and back
Why would you put one in a front axle that isn't locked in on the pavement? That would be a waste of time and money to put a limited slip in a Dana 35 TTB.

fordboi415

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0V6
Transmission
Manual
limited slip is the way to go when you arent offroading lockers are a waste of money if your pavement pounding and they eat tires for days if you dont stay out of that throttle

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals