• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Throttle Body Cleaning

Moreflying

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
The 94 2.3 throttle body has a yellow and black sticker on it that says, "Do not clean the inside of the throttle body." The factory manual says, "The throttle body for this vehicle is a sludge resistant design and should not be cleaned." What's the deal with that? Is the inside of the throttle body coated with a special material that does not allow for cleaning? I'd like to clean mine before putting my engine back in. Techs, what's the word on this now-a-days?

LeftOfSanity

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
New

If I remember correctly, I saw this asked somewhere else, and basically when new it was treated with a non stick coating, but eventually wears away/starts getting a coating.

Don't take it as gospel though.

Moreflying

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply. We seem to be really high on those that need help here and those that actually have insight to disseminate. These older Rangers are about as ubiquitous as pennies. I wish we could say the same for tech help with regards to them. I'll keep digging. I'm glad I've got the factory manuals. Peace. Over and out.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Not everyones t-body says this. Dont get your pants twisted if you didn't get an answer as quickly as you'd like. What it boils down to is, if it needs cleaned... clean it. STP makes a specific cleaner for throttle bodies that will work fine.

Moreflying

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
That wasn't much help. I did not address my specific question. I'm astute enough to walk into any parts store and read the cans. What it boils down to is clean it? I think not, and my comment stands. No one is getting their (pants twisted) here. But, after about 60 views and one comment...enough said. I see this situation time and time again here. A large percentage of folks jump on here, sign up, get their info and split and give zip back to the forum. Anyway, at this point the question is played out and I'm done with it.

pbilt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
1988 2.3
Transmission
Manual
Moreflying your an idiot

pbilt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
1988 2.3
Transmission
Manual
oh i see now your from California

pbilt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
1988 2.3
Transmission
Manual
no one answered you question because its a stupid question use sensor safe spray and clean it

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
That wasn't much help.
Oh really?

I did not address my specific question.
Your question about the coating had already been answered by LeftOfSanity. Did you want me to tell you again?

I'd like to clean mine before putting my engine back in........

What it boils down to is clean it? I think not
You want to clean it..... but you don't want to clean it.

Common sense says if it's dirty, then clean it - don't put it off because some sticker says not to. It's not going to magically clean itself. Throttle body cleaner is formulated to clean it and not eat the coating.

Last edited:

Moreflying

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Oh really?

Your question about the coating had already been answered by LeftOfSanity. Did you want me to tell you again?

You want to clean it..... but you don't want to clean it.

Common sense says if it's dirty, then clean it - don't put it off because some sticker says not to. It's not going to magically clean itself. Throttle body cleaner is formulated to clean it and not eat the coating.
Thank you Shane. I appreciate the effort in helping. I was a bit grumpy the other day.

Now to pbilt.

If you are going to make an attempt at insulting someone, at least use proper grammar. Did it really take three separate posts to create the insult as well? That was a rhetorical question. You can look that word up later. Please do not answer that. Now on to the corrections.

Post #1

Moreflying your an idiot

Let's get a period at the end of that sentence, and (your) is a possessive pronoun. What you really meant was you're.

Post #2

This entire post is a whopping two sentences. Congratulations! That is a little more descriptive than your first post but not by much. Capitalize your sentence here. When you refer to yourself in a sentence, the "i" Should look like this (I), capitalized. Of course, let's not forget the period at the end of the sentence. Once again I see that you have used the possessive form of "your" instead of the contraction, when two words come together and use an apostrophe. I also observed that you remembered to capitalize California. I knew that deep down you were showing respect for the state.

Post #3

no one answered you question because its a stupid question use sensor safe spray and clean it

Capitalize that sentence as well. You should be (your). I think I hear an echo. Its should be (it's). You really need to work on those contractions. Maybe you fell asleep in class that day. Put a period and the end of the word (question). The word (use) then will be capitalized. Once again put a period at the end of the damn sentence.

Really pbilt, who's the idiot? Take a walk jerk.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
You're the idiot. If you've got a problem with California, it's that we have better looking woman than any other state. haha. Seriously though, what a ridiculously stereotypical, completely ignorant thing to say. I hope MoreFlying or myself has the answer to your next question and it goes unanswered... If you don't like someones post, ignore it. Name calling over the internet is just ridiculous. Obviously you don't know the answer, so leave it be. And more flying.... would you rather 60 uneducated b.s. answers like pbilt's or for 60 people to accept they don't know the answer and not post?

Personally i'd rather have a clean TB with no 'special coating' than a dirty one with the special coating. You're not going to negatively affect the motor by cleaning it, so have at it and enjoy a coating free CLEAN TB!

Last edited:

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
I agree with the others, just clean it! Just use the CRC stuff because it states that it will not eat the coating, and even if it did i mean that coating will not last forever. Just ask anyone who has owned a Teflon coated pan...it all eventually wears off, especially under high heat applications.

greenpus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That wasn't much help. I did not address my specific question. I'm astute enough to walk into any parts store and read the cans. What it boils down to is clean it? I think not, and my comment stands. No one is getting their (pants twisted) here. But, after about 60 views and one comment...enough said. I see this situation time and time again here. A large percentage of folks jump on here, sign up, get their info and split and give zip back to the forum. Anyway, at this point the question is played out and I'm done with it.
So I wonder what is the reason for your post then since it has already been answered? Ford put a yellow sticker on your TB and it says not to clean. Your answer is there so lose the bad attitude!!!! :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:
or just STFU and as others have said, CLEAN IT...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals