• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Thunk!

Little Red

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Everytime I move from a stop I hear and feel a soft "thunk" that seems to come from the rear.It happens whether I brake to a stop or just drift to a stop,full gas tank or not. No noise on braking,just pulling out normally. I replaced the leaf springs, shackles, shocks, and swaybar bushings. You can rock the truck by hand and feel and hear the "thunk" when it's in Park. It's not metallic like a u-joint.(They are tight).There doesn't seem to be excessive play in the rear axle gears either. Next I'll have to get a helper to rock the truck while I crawl under it to find the culprit. I just thought someone here went through it and can help me. I replaced a radius arm bushing on the pass. side too and the drivers side seems ok. This is driving me nuts.Front sway bar bushings only have about 25k on them. Trans and motor mounts seem tight too. '97 Ranger,4x4 ext. cab. 4.0 5spd auto.:icon_confused:

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
have you lubed the slip yoke in a while?

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Usually when replacing things, what you do to one side....you do to the other.

As for th thunk....have anything heavy in the bed? LOL

Have you inspected the rear brake drums?

Little Red

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Been thinking of the slip yoke. It thunks when there is something in the bed or not. I seems that it has to do with axle wind up. It winds one way on braking or (unwinds) and winds up the other direction on initial acceleration.I don't accel. hard. 220k miles. I bought it used with 175k on it. I bet the slip yoke never been greased. At least I know I didn't grease it. Runs great, no leaks, no smoke,no rust. Starts right up in any weather,gotta love it. Brake drums not an issue. It will thunk if I just coast to a stop.

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Have you checked for slop in the carrier bearing (it is the bearing that supports the long drive-shaft)?

hick

Little Red

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That's where I need a helper to rock the truck by hand and make it thunk. Then I can see slop. There is very little while parked. I can rock it myself while I lay on my back under the spare tire (in my elevated driveway, it goes easy one way and I grunt a little the other way.(5' 10" 275# 38" waist 53 yrs OLD) checking the leaf springs etc. but I can't see that far forward. OLD eyes,remember? Just hope the parking pawl don't break in the trans.LOL:icon_surprised:

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
try this just for shits and giggles....

grab the back corners of the bed, and rocks the truck side to side,so the tires kinda squirm around....and see if you can get the truck to remake the noise.....its a long shot but....

as for the parking pawl, then up,,,you would just have a "litte red" in the driveway hehe...(i know bad pun, and Im sure karma will get me for it)

Little Red

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Tried that. It thunks fore and aft. Me thinks it's the rubber around carrier brg. I rocked it from underneath today crawling more forward and can see the driveshaft moving up and down in the brg. I already bought one 6 mo. ago. guess I have to put it in. The last one I disassembled got me a piece of it in my ear. It's still there after 25+ yrs. I soaked all the bolts etc. today I hope I can get them out. Pretty ugly under there.:pray:

Little Red

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thunk is no more. Finally got to change the carrier brg. Soaking all the bolts with PB Blaster for weeks helped a million. Found out the flange bolts are loc-tited from the factory. Had to use a 1/2" breaker bar. 220+k and all the u-joints were still good. Lots of grease still in them(lifetime greased) and no water or rust in the needles. Lucky Me.:icon_cheers:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals