• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tick Fix?

rusty70f100

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
So do you idle it in the driveway then to warm it up, or just put up with the cold for a mile?

Yes, I do know it's cold. That was a joke. :icon_twisted:

I just can't help but think that can't be good for it, going one mile then turning it off.

cavibird2005

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Better off being hard on the truck than me.

I can fix the truck if it brakes, if I get phenomena and die well there is nothin I can do about that.

cavibird2005

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
5/20 made it worse!! Sounded like a dozen midgets beating on my motor with ball pin hammer under there.

So I talked to local Ford Tech and he said SAE30 And a QT of STP will fix that right up.

Lord Behold, She's about as quite a 2.9 can be. Sounds like a old Perkin's Diesel Evidentially, I've had 2 guys ask if that was what was under the hood. Lol

Strieg

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I think I'm gonna try that. Mines got 228000 miles on her and just starting to develop 'The Tick'. Dont want it to get worse

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
yes at 214k miles, mine has finally started to tick. it ticks when i first start it up, then when it heats up its fine. it actually quiets alot just shifting from park to drive. i just want it to last long enough for me to move to a new place and find a 4.0 to replace my current 4.0. i found a guy with an 89k mile 4.0 from a 99, but he wanted 800 for it... even said hed put it in for 35 an hour but, hes up in friggin bangkok maine... ya... im better off paying a ford dealership to drop it in haha.

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I use Lucas when I can afford it,if the reg Lucas is to thick for you they also got Synthetic Lucas. My 2.9L has 166,800 mi and it likes 15W40,it runs noticeably better.

WhiteLX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Mine ticked pretty bad on morning start ups when I got it. Ran some engine flush through it and always use one of the high mileage 10w30 motor oils and the tick nearly went away completely. If I drive it every day the ticking is completely gone. The only time I get the ticking now is if it has sat for a week (have other cars so sometimes it sits, but it's my daily driver).

2813josh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6,4.0
Transmission
Manual
When I switched to 15w4o Rotella the ticking in my B2 quieted down alot.

victhom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Alright guys here's my take on 2.9 ticking, First I tried, marvel Mystery oil. oil of all different viscosities, all brands of filters, "lifter quiet" additive, Lucas, Etc, etc, I even changed the cam and lifters and rokers and shafts,STLL TICKED, I even tried an oiler cooler. The answer was a new oil pump. It seems these engines need volume. Oil pressure "idiot gauge" said I had good pressure. but the ford manual says you should have 40-60 psi at 2k rpms warm. I installed an aux pressure gauge and sure enough I had like 27psi at 2k rpms warm. On a 4x4 it's, lets just say changing the oil pump is a pain in the neck, to put it nicely. Its a wordy post but I hope someone finds it helpful.

mudhog1977

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I read somewhere that the oil ports build up with sludge and keeps the oil in the top end mine taps but only on high rpm's after it warms up

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

88 Red Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
It sounds like no one or two tricks will fix the tick. Sounds like a crap shoot of different things to find what works for YOUR 2.9.

Bondo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 3.0
Transmission
Manual
I switched to 10w30 Pennzoil synthetic blend and was very pleased.

Only ticks a little at start-up now.

Zorroinaranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
the Tic

hey guys im new to rangers. Been a mazda guy so not so far off. Just bought a 2.9 last night, perfect little truck, but tics.... LOUD. it comes and goes tho. Sometimes cant hear it at all then when i get on it, it starts.

Been researchin on here(which is great alot of info) some say they cleaned out the valves others the lucucs thinner. or replacein liters and valves. just wondering were a good start would be to see what kind a problem theirs is, again im new to fords 2.9's but good around cars and quick to learn

Cb29

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I just bought a 87 ranger too with the same problem I was wondering what type of atf did you used? And what weight of oil? Also do you have any seugestions on the type of gear oil to use for a 2wd rear end? Thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals