• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ticks when Warm?!?!?!

BronKitis

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so I have the infamous 2.9 tick, except it's more like a CLACK! It didn't bother me at first, but man is it annoying to listen to! Not to mention, it's kinda scary...

Plan on doing a 4.0/5.0 swap after a year or so with the new axles (she's been under the knife for 9 months now...) and I'd like to get SOME wheeling in without another giant project. :icon_bounceblue:

I have done the following things to attemp to help clacking- Cleaned oil pickup screen. Atf and 3 oil changes in 2 days (just idling long periods with occasional revving), rislone, and something else (motor honey?)

From what I've read, most people get the tick when COLD but I only get it when she is completely up to operating temp:icon_confused:

So... It's kinda backwards from what I've read. Not sure what to do. I thought about dumping some of my Superduty's (Petunia) Delo 400 along with some lucas oil stabilizer to thicken it up seeing as how the cold 10w/30 keeps it at bay? Idk... What do you guys think?

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ay yi yi - The whole thing comes from weak-ass oiling to the top end. I think once it's ticking, you just have to live with it. Mine had really great service from the PO's and only ticks when it's cold or sitting for a while. If you've done the ATF and everything else, you've probably done everything you can. Live with it until it dies and put in a 4.0.

BronKitis

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Stupid Cologne motor....

jhammel85

Like Robert said - Not a big deal. It's probably fine. If you're really worried about it, get a mechanical oil gauge and find out what's going on.

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I've been using 15W40 and Lucas the last couple years. Last oil change I just used oil alone and it used half a quart in a couple weeks (I don't drive a huge amount). Topped it off with Lucas and it hasn't used any in over a month. Mine used to have "the tick" but it kinda died away since my truck kept running rich after I got it and I changed the oil a bunch of times...I think it cleaned everything out.

BronKitis

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I think that is my next step. Just going to run a heavier oil along with a stabilizer of sorts for the time being. Researching 4.0 swaps now. Do you REALLY need to do the dash swap? That looks like a pita...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals