• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Time for 1 ton SAS

Combs Customs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 1993 /19
Make / Model
Ford / Ford / F
Engine Size
4.0L / 4.0L /4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Axle Seals arent designed to be completely covered in oil all the time. Will make them leak very quickly.

littleredrangerhood

March 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Update, got the front part of the springs installed. Need to drill holes and install shackle hanger for the rear part of the springs. Also, having a small problem. I need a longer pitman arm cuz right now mine sits directly on top of the tie rod. The new one needs to be about 1.5-2 inches more forward so about 7" center to center. Any ideas on what arm would work with the current steering box? The one in the pics is a drop arm but I want a stock arm . . . just longer.

Here are some pics.

Next up is the shackle hangers and then finishing up the steering.

Maverick

FoMoCo MoFo
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
You know what might work. The pitman arm off of a TTB F250. Im pretty sure it's the same shank (if not the same box) as what the Ranger has. The stock pitman arm on those I believe has little or no drop. That might get it up high enough out of the way. Truck looks bitchin by the way.

Last edited:

littleredrangerhood

March 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
its not really a height issue, i have a stock arm I could switch it out for and would but the hole for the draglink end in the pitman arm has to be forward more than it is or the tie rod will interfere with the drag link, I'll check into the F250 pitman arm though, thanks for the compliment

Dishtowel

August OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I love this truck,I like the height, and thank goodness you have the width to go with it!

I scheme of doing something like this eventually, with the extended cab with the rear axle brought up. Do you have some more pics of the rear axle to cab relationship? Did you cut frame and redo it that way? or just move axle mounting up? What does your wheelbase measure?

littleredrangerhood

March 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I love this truck,I like the height, and thank goodness you have the width to go with it!

I scheme of doing something like this eventually, with the extended cab with the rear axle brought up. Do you have some more pics of the rear axle to cab relationship? Did you cut frame and redo it that way? or just move axle mounting up? What does your wheelbase measure?
I moved the front hanger forward 16" and cut 24" off the frame then mounted the shackle hangers to the underside of the rear bumper I made. The wheel base right now is looking to be 113". The height right now is actually too high for me since I am into rock crawling and like a low center of gravity. The 3" body lift is probably coming out and the suspension should be about 2" lower than it is now when I am all done. Here is a pic of the rear tire clearance (it is pretty much perfect for this size tire).

Thanks for the compliments.

littleredrangerhood

March 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just finished the new trans crossmember and built a t-case crossmember earlier. Doubler is in, driveshafts are done, diff covers are installed, gas tank is installed properly, spare tire mount is done. I have to redo the front suspension at some point or another (lowering the front spring hangers by ~3") but it is not a priority for the time being. Shocks are going in today and I am going to start the hydraulic assist as well. Here is a pic of what it looks like now. Not the best but I will get more later.

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
lookin good man!

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
damn that thing is sick

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Man this truck is insane. Can't wait to see it in action!

littleredrangerhood

March 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Man this truck is insane. Can't wait to see it in action!
Well, its not that insane YET. Its still open/open and has the stock axle shafts, u-joints, and hubs. I mean D60 shafts and u-joints are nothing to sneeze at and money is tight but when I can afford it I am going to get a locker for the front, 35 spline outer chromoly shafts, bobby long u-joints, and drive flanges. The rear is going to get welded when I have a chance to borrow a stick welder from my buddy.

littleredrangerhood

March 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Alright, here are some more recent pics. This is how it sits in PA until I can get back there to finish it and bring it down to Nashville.

Obviously I need to redo the front suspension, bringing the front hangers down and moving the rear hangers up along with possibly going to a shorter shackle. I have a plan in mind to fix the rear shackle angle but I don't know if I'll get to that just yet.

littleredrangerhood

March 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Flew up to PA for Spring Break to get some work done on this thing. Got the tapped steering box in and the new saginaw pump installed. Still need to actually install the ram but decided to wait until May to finish this thing up. I'm planning on buying a nice mig welder to use for the rest of the build. Have a bunch of random shit to finish up including inboarding the rear springs.

Here are the few pics I took this week while I was working on it.
rear disc brake swap using E350 rotors and chevy calipers

redone front susp with original 3" BL

went from 3" BL to 1" BL

littleredrangerhood

March 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Dude, your torturing me with your progress........
Sorry man, wish it were already done but graduating college, getting married, and moving 800 miles away made it a lot harder to get it done. Should be out on the trail ripping it up in May though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals