• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

tintingwindows

91rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 and 2002
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 ohv and sohc
Transmission
Manual
Nyone got advice on tinting windows,never dun it before but I got everything needed to do it.r

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
Clean the window (both sides) and the window seal many times, then finish clean it with isopropyl alcohol. Pre-shape the film on the outside of the glass, wrong side out, making it a little larger than necessary. This makes it easier to get smooth when you put it on the inside of the glass. Use lots of soapy water for final placement, then squeegee the soapy water out.

Basically, the same things that are on the tint film package, in spades.

407Link

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
don't use autozone or advanced auto tint its way harder to work with because its so thin

91rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 and 2002
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 ohv and sohc
Transmission
Manual
don't use autozone or advanced auto tint its way harder to work with because its so thin
I bought that black magic stuff.

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone ever try that pre-cut stuff you see on eBay? I just got a quote of $90 to do my front two widnows but just thought I should try to do this myself. Just want to get good tint that wont turn purple.

On my past cars that were professionally done, I thing Llumar tint was used and held up very well

FX4OffRoad1992

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone ever try that pre-cut stuff you see on eBay? I just got a quote of $90 to do my front two widnows but just thought I should try to do this myself. Just want to get good tint that wont turn purple.

On my past cars that were professionally done, I thing Llumar tint was used and held up very well
wow $90 for two windows? I got my two front and two side back windows tinted for $85? Might wanna look into some other places:icon_confused:

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
wow $90 for two windows? I got my two front and two side back windows tinted for $85? Might wanna look into some other places:icon_confused:
Actually that is the best price for my area. I shopped around on past cars (where I tinted all windows) and they are always the best price I could find for places that do rear windows in one piece of tint. They do really good quality work (current other car has no bubbles or discoloration after 7 years. Saw my previous car around town and same story after 11 years).

I guess since I am only doing two windows on this one, I can do a little more checking but not sure I can find anything cheaper without doing it myself

reggioisme

June 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 cylinder
Transmission
Manual
ive used gila window tint and the ebay precuts...honestly the precuts are pretty dead nuts on, the 1.5m premium high performance tint is the way to go, the darkness of the black looks very good and doesnt seem like its going to turn purple, give it a shot i liked them

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
ive used gila window tint and the ebay precuts...honestly the precuts are pretty dead nuts on, the 1.5m premium high performance tint is the way to go, the darkness of the black looks very good and doesnt seem like its going to turn purple, give it a shot i liked them
So are the eBay precuts the Gila brand or something else?

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
From what I have heard the main reason tints turn purple is due to the owner washing them with ammonia based window cleaners. The ammonia causes the tint to change color. I use the spray can cleaners (white with blue graphics) and have never had an issue.

Now some tints do have a purple hue to them from the start, but either way I would stay away from ammonia based cleaners.

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
From what I have heard the main reason tints turn purple is due to the owner washing them with ammonia based window cleaners. The ammonia causes the tint to change color. I use the spray can cleaners (white with blue graphics) and have never had an issue.

Now some tints do have a purple hue to them from the start, but either way I would stay away from ammonia based cleaners.
Good to know. Glad I use plain water to clean my windows

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
id recomend paying somebody. it cost me 50 for my front, to match the back.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals