• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

tips on installing motor

p575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
im almost done getting this thing in, i'll quit asking questions then, i promise. putting a 4.0 into a 94 with a manual trans. i can't get the motor/trans lined up. i didn't expect it to fall into place, but i spent 6 hours on it today, didn't think it'd be that hard. anybody got any tips on getting it in place? i've tried using longer bolts to pull them together, that got the bottom mated up, but i cant get the top of the bellhousing anywhere near the motor.

thanks for any help
justin

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Make sure the clutch is aligned correctly.

Use several jacks and the hoist creatively to get the engine and trans lined up.

Do NOT attempt to force the two together by cranking down the bellhousing bolts. You'll ruin something.

Be patient. It took me almost an hour to get mine lined up, with Todd helping me who has a good deal of RBV experience.

p575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
to align the clutch, you put the alignment tool in all the way, slide the clutch on it, and tighten down the bolts correct?

89_Black_Beast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
89'
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
it shouldn't be to difficult... it does sound like your clutch isn't aligned right so you can't slide the input shaft in

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
One way to check engine/transmission alignment is to measure the gap between the bellhousing and engine block. Then tilt the engine in the direction of the largest part. If a clutch alignment tool was used, the disk will be aligned with the pilot bearing.

I do find that often, on RBVs with a manual transmission, the slave cylinder return spring requires some force to compress, and the release bearing is always in contact with the clutch. The engine transmission will not slide all the way to the engine block freely. Though it will get close. Note that I've only run into this issue when replacing a worn clutch with a new one. That might be relevant.

I've needed to pull the last 1/2 inch or so with bellhousing bolts. Make SURE alignment is PERFECT before you try that or you'll yank the transmission next time to replace the bent clutch disk.

It is also helpful to put the transmission in gear and turn the output (or I suppose the crank) a tiny bit to get the clutch disk splines to line up right.

Note that I've only done this from the other side -- installing a transmission on to an already-installed engine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals