• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

to remove or not to remove?

FatboyDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I can do it fast, or I can do it right... what's your pleasure?
As with my original rattle post a while back (though not that long obviously) I've done a bunch of research or rather attempted to before asking as I've seen similar posts before.

On my 93 4.0 4x4, MUST I remove the engine to get the oil pan off, or is there any alternative? I'm game either way, but I've seen a bunch of conflicting information saying in one form or another that this person did a pan removal without pulling the engine, then another still saying it's impossible without engine removal.

So my fellow forum members, which is it? or is it both? please, share your experiences. I've got to swap in an oil pump and some related guts, and DO NOT need to make it longer or harder than it needs to be... thanks! :icon_thumby:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I suspect that it's technically possible, but it certainly won't save you any time. You'd have to remove the same things to get access to lift it high enough, and then you'd be working in very close quarters with an engine propped up with the potential to fall. Definitely not worth it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well changing the oil pan gasket and changing the oil pump require different access, later requires oil pan to come off, former doesn't.
So thats why there may be some conflict in answers

There are a couple of things in the way, bellhousing sits low so you can't slide oil pan back and can't tilt it down much because of front axle.
If you disconnect motor mounts engine can be lifted a bit, how much depends on if body has been lifted, 3" body lift is helpful now, lol.
Bell housing will hit tunnel/firewall when engine is lifted up, so have a look at that distance between the two now, to see how much lift you can get
Oil pan has to drop quite a bit to clear oil pump pickup tube as well even if it clears bellhousing.

Simple answer is to disconnect trans and lift engine up or out
Taking engine out, putting it on an engine stand, cleaning it up and replacing parts you want is of course the correct answer if not the simplest

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The pan can be removed in the vehicle, if you don't mind damaging the pan.

In my opinion nothing worth doing under the oil pan can be done with the engine in place. Not on a 4x4 Ranger anyway.

By the time you have the engine scooted around enough to get the pan down and get in, even to just replace the gasket, you are so close to having it out the whole way that it isn't worth the frustration of working in such a tight space where you can't see, again, in my opinion.

FatboyDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I can do it fast, or I can do it right... what's your pleasure?
Alright guys, thank you, each and every one. I'll be starting on removing the engine and pulling the pan after, father in law is loaning me an engine stand to do this work, so while it'll take longer than I hoped, at least it'll be done right.

I suppose my initial question was based more on frustration with it, than not knowing what I actually had to do.

cheers, will post progress during/after removal.

:beer:

Marty'70

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know it's a different animal, but I ran into the same frustration with my 92 2.3 2wd. Didn't pull completely,but removed mount bolts and lifted as far as I could tojust prior to doing damage lol. Was able to just squeeze it out.

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals