• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

To swap or not to swap? Questions and Questions

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys. I haven't posted here on awhile, because I haven't been driving the ol ranger for awhile. Because it is gutless and has a crappy 5R55E tranny. All of a sudden a potential solution has come about. Someone is selling a 96 Explorer with a V8 that was in a front end collision. Powertrain is in good shape. 166km's. For a not bad price. (the fact that it is even here in Saskatchewan is amazing considering I have been looking for awhile).

But I have a few questions because I would be scraping up the money for it and I have never done an engine swap before so I am unsure I should

Questions:

1. It is an AWD. So full time 4x4, which I do NOT want. I want to be able to put it in 2WD, 4Hi, and 4lo. Can other transfer cases bolt up that still allow my driveshafts to hook up that is a 2WD or 4WD selectable? Or how would I remedy this problem?

2. I have a 8.8 and a D35 with upgraded u-joints. The 5-460x or whatever they are called and manual hubs. Open front and locked back. Would the diffs survive? I would likely have to go easy on the front diff when 4x4-ing eh? I have 35's and 4.56's. Would that ratio still be alright with the V8 (likely it would still be the best I figure just double checking)

3. A guy is selling james duff motor mounts but between the explorer and ranger 4.0L mounts you can rig something up for near free right?

4. I know I will have more questions so I am leaving this space open haha

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1. Yes

2. Don't know, but guys here are using stock axles without issues, an 8.8 will hold up

3. Mustang mounts, check the tech library

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Alright thanks. The guy with the Explorer is saying F150 transfer case and axles? This is getting costly haha

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Alright thanks. The guy with the Explorer is saying F150 transfer case and axles? This is getting costly haha
T-case yes.

Dont need the axles though - an 8.8 is what comes behind a 5.0 Explorer in the first place.

Cant really comment on the d35, but as long as your not too mean with it, you should do alright.

Any idea what the weight difference is between engines though?

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Similiar I think. So I would need an F150 transfer case but my front axle from my ranger would bolt up to F150 transfer case? I have a one piece driveshaft for the rear

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Would it be easier to get a F-150 parts donor. I thought explorer's were the donors of choice, would an 96 F-150 be easier? I want 2wd and be able to choose 4x4.

here is round 2 of questions:

Once you get the engine in and stuff, what about all the little things: tranny range select cable, transfer case select (splice that into cab controls?)

And the wiring always confuses me. You have wiring for the dash and gauges and radio and etc. Is that seperate fromt the ECU and engine wiring harness? When people swap do they have a Explorer (lets say) engine wiring harness with there stock interior wiring harness. Not ALL the wiring has to be swapped does it?

What about fuel and steering? Does that stuff bolt up to 5.0L's from 4.0L without too much trouble?

Sorry for all the questions guys, I have put alot of work into my Ranger and the tranny always gives me grief, and the 35's make it sluggish even with a 4.0L. So it is either sell it or try my hand at a V8 swap

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
How about a manual trans put behind your 4.0 since its the trans giving you problems? Just need to put a computer from a manual in.

Also you could look at your axle gearing too. I have a buddy running 35s, 4.0, manual trans with 4.56 gears, extended cab and has zero problems with his truck being sluggish. Plus he getting 20mpgs too and his engine is at 220,000 miles.

Sent from my rooted SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I thought about that after I blew my 1st 4R55E haha. It would probably be a bit easier than a V8 swap eh? I dunno my truck just feels sluggish. It has about 8 inch total lift so it sure isn't aerodynamic. But going up hills it slows down quite a bit, and if there is a headwind forget about staying in 4th. It'll bounce between 3rd and 4th often.

20mpg? American? I am lucky to get 13mpg. I am sure a V8 would get better mpg's than my current setup.

Which btw is: Extended Cab. 4.0L OHV. 5R55E (crap). 4.56's. 315/75/16's

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hey. If people do swap 5.0L's from F-150's (retaining the 2wd to 4wd system instead of all time 4x4 on a explorer) then my best bet would be to get a 96 f-150 eh? They also came with D44's didn't they? So if I blew up my D35 i would also have those parts available. Correct?

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Only down side to using the f150 setup is the intake setup on them is to tall and the hood will hit it or that is probably what most swaps would be done with.

As for the d44, would it be a ttb or solid axle one. Either way, you will be putting allot more work into your truck doing that and none of those options are bolt in and both are going to put you at fullwidth and some states have laws when it comes to that and tires sticking outside of the wheel wells

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If doing the swap your best bet would be the 96 Explorer, that engine fits a shit load better than the one in the F-150. The intake and the accessory package are much larger on the F-150 engine. The explorer is a nice tight little package that was designed to fit into an engine bay about the same size as the Ranger. If I were building your truck I would use the Explorer's engine and transmission (if using the Explorer EFI), if necessary use it's transfer case temporarily. I'd investigate which part time 4wd transfer would fit (most likely from some F-150) save up for it if necessary, and swap that in place of the AWD case. Way I see it, as long as your hubs are unlocked the front differential may be turning, but you aren't actually driving around in 4wd. So you should be safe driving around with the AWD transfer case until you find what you need.

As for the 8.8 axle. The stock axle in most (if not all) of your later 5.0 mustangs, and 4.6L mustangs was a 28 spline 8.8". Most of those axles don't get changed before those stangs start seeing track duty, even then they last a while before power levels are reached that they need attention. They exact same axle that came in all 8.8" axle Rangers, with the exception of the FX4 LII that had a 31 spline (same as Explorer), just set up with different mount points for the respective vehicle.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals