• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Total Performance headers installed...fit comments also!

Dan B.

January 2012 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
387 Windsor
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Finally got my TP headers installed. I've been shying away from this but really needed to get it done. I've had them for a year...or more.

Passenger side: This side required that I jacked the front way up to get the header in from the bottom side...installing from the top side was impossible. Also had the remove the starter. After the header was somewhat in place I reinstalled the starter...this took some work to get the right angle of each piece worked out. After all this I found out that the starter was the one piece that would keep this header from fitting! The tubes were hitting on the bottom of the starter...:annoyed:. This was not a huge issue though as I needed a high torque started anyhow...and it's also a mini! So the clearance issue is over. The starter will be in Sunday so I'll get it installed on Monday and have that side done.

Driver side: The header can be installed from the top side but the steering shaft had to be removed. The only issue I encountered was that the #2 tube was so close to the sparkplug that it would not allow the plugwire to be installed. Heck, for that matter, a piece of paper hardly slide through!!! :icon_confused: I have no idea how TP would have missed this problem. After some "clearancing" with a 1.5" pipe and 3# hammer, this side is buttoned up and ready.

Hopefully on Monday evening a short hour will have the pass-side done. Then she'll be ready for a new exhaust and some tuning! This starts the run for mid-12's on motor alone and 3.55 gears. Once I get there the next step will be high 11's on steeper gears and more convertor.:icon_thumby:

So...did anyone else have problems like me...with the starter and plugwire clearance??

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I used a starter from a 1990 f-150 AOD No clearance issues at all.

As far as plug wires I'll have to check that out a little closer.

Also when you get it fired up you should make a short vid of it with open headers.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual

Dan B.

January 2012 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
387 Windsor
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
:icon_thumby:

Patience young grasshopper!! I'm actually stoked that those items noted are the only issues I ran across. I was expecting the worst and not really hoping for anything better. If all goes well she'll be mobile again on Monday. If there is no rain I'll get her out of the garage and make some video and pics to post on Tuesday.

Last trip to the track went mid-13's on motor, no carb tuning, stock ignition and manifolds with 2" kink bent pipes. The complete new MSD system and headers oughta step'er up a bit!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals