• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Towing Capacity with Manual Tran

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Dont forget IF something happens while towing you're insurance company will tell you to pound sand and you will be 100% liable for damages. Not that it's likely but you will be technically towing an illegal load.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, most insurance companies have the "Insured shall operate the vehicle in a legal lawful manner" clause

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I think U hauls polcies are shitty anyways...

Theyll rent a 26ft just under CDL box truck and a car trailer for some idiot whos never towed in his life to park his 7000lb escalade on and thats "A ok".....

But some dude whos probably well versed in towing squeezing the limits of his own pickup (not that 4000lbs is really squeezing) is unacceptable.

Makes no sense.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
U haul said my 87 ranger on a dolly was to heavy for my 77 F250.

Sometimes i think they do that to entice you to rent their equipment
They said that an 89 F-350 dump wasn’t enough for pulling a 79 F-150. Never mind that the dump was regularly used to legally haul around a 10k rated trailer with a skid steer which I want to say was roughly a total of around 8k or so behind it and the GVWR of the 150 was only 6250....

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I think U hauls polcies are shitty anyways...

Theyll rent a 26ft just under CDL box truck and a car trailer for some idiot whos never towed in his life to park his 7000lb escalade on and thats "A ok".....

But some dude whos probably well versed in towing squeezing the limits of his own pickup (not that 4000lbs is really squeezing) is unacceptable.

Makes no sense.
Im sure it makes sense somehow to whatever team of lawyers drafted their insurance policies. :rolleyes: Most of these regulations, laws, and what not are not based on any logic, just the incoherent ramblings of insurance companies.

backporch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Off Road
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245 75R16
I understand your warning about liability. If I read the owners manual correctly I am able to tow a 3200 lb trailer. That may assume nothing in the bed and no driver.? Overall I am close to being within their guidelines for a 4.0 4x4 extended cab with manual transmission

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (1½" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 33"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
I am considering using my 4x4 1999 Ranger with manual trans to tow a project vehicle home on a car dolly. The car weighs under 3200 lbs, which is what the owner's manual says is close to max. Car dolly will probably only add several hundred pounds more. Drive is local and flat on a road that will probably be under 55 most of the way. I will have to try and convince u-haul to let me tow with my configuration.

Real question is for manual transmissions, are there any tricks to towing other than taking it slow and easy?
Backporch:

Though this is not a trick, persay it is a guideline that I wish I had known, the first time I towed with my 5sp. "DO NOT USE OVERDRIVE" or, do not use the overdrive gear, while towing. This may slow you down a little but towing a little slower is safer in my book

The other thing that I learned is if I can tow at or near my Max torque RPM it will be easier on the engine.

If your weights are within limits and the tow vehicle operates well you should be safe.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
U-haul tow dolly weigh 750 lbs, combination of tow dolly + towed vehicle can't weigh more than the towing vehicle weight.

Book weight for '09 Ranger SC 4x4 manual - 3,700 lbs, minus dolly = 2,950lb . The GVWR for project car needs to be less than that - you could be putting a Yaris filled to the gunwales on that dolly*. The book weight also needs to be <3,450 lbs for a dolly for FWD, 3,900 for RWD.

U-haul also gets their panties in a bunch if it is a RWD/AWD being towed on dolly - they are worried about liability for transmission damage on the vehicle being towed - I always go over with them that the driveshaft has been removed.

Brakes on the dolly aren't great - but try to back it up and you will find out that they do work.

If you want to get U-Haul really spinning tell them you are towing an Explorer. :popcorn:

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
There should be a pin/key thing attached to the trailer that you stick into the slide of the surge brakes to prevent them from activating when reversing. Never rented a uhaul trailer or dolley but id imagine they have lost all those keys though. :icon_rofl:

Ive seen guys jam all sorts of things in there at the boat ramp. I think a nickle fits in mine.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you want to get U-Haul really spinning tell them you are towing an Explorer. :popcorn:
Aviator, Mountaineer and Navajo are GTG though!

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Aviator, Mountaineer and Navajo are GTG though!
Just making sure we're on same, I intended to tow the Explorer- not that I was using the Explorer as tow vehicle.

And a 2016 Explorer is so removed from those which had the issue, but then u-haul doesn't always have the brightest bulbs on the string. But it beats me having to fine space for a car trailer in the garage.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just making sure we're on same, I intended to tow the Explorer- not that I was using the Explorer as tow vehicle.

And a 2016 Explorer is so removed from those which had the issue, but then u-haul doesn't always have the brightest bulbs on the string. But it beats me having to fine space for a car trailer in the garage.
Thats why you make friends with people who have car trailers :)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Yeah, I was talking tow pig.

I think the 2011’s are GTG to tow u haul with.

The IRS ones that are body on frame are bad though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals