• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Towing Or Hauling, What's Harder On Drivetrain?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
A couple days ago I hauled a bunch of building materials home which was enough weight to make the truck sit level, I could tell the weight was back there and guess around 600-700lbs. I believe probably close to max capacity of the truck. Take off you could really tell stuff was there, but once you got moving it did fine.

Would it be easier on the drive train to tow those kinds of loads on a trailer rather than haul it in the bed? Is there any benefit to towing VS hauling the same load? I was thinking afterwards I should have used the trailer so I could have just brought the materials home, left them on the trailer and just unhooked the trailer instead of having to unload everything.....other than that does one or the other stress the drivetrain more or less?

1987 Ranger Custom 2.9L V6 5 speed 4x2 3.73 gears.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Its harder on rear suspension to put load in the bed, but it is what its made for
And if trailer has the same load then there is also the weight of the trailer added

So trailer would be harder on drive train just because its more weight to haul

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Towing the same load, you also have the weight of the trailer. So my guess is hauling the load in the bed is better for the drivetrain. Less convenient for you.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Towing might be better for the trucks suspension if you're careful about tongue weight.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
towing also h as the trailer plus your load yanking on the back of your truck every time you start and stop and turn. If you are not overloading it, I would put it in the bed and call it good. if it is loading you down to the point that you don't have suspension travel, a good trailer and properly loaded tongue will be better. Don't forget trailer brakes if you can, that will help a bit with the trailer yanking on the back end of the truck :)

AJ

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I think a few hundred pounds is over thinking things... Your drivetrain is fairly stout, if you had an automatic trans and were driving a long distance that's one thing... I think the rear axle is rated for around 2800lb, probably has 1200lb or less including rotating mass which doesn't count in capacity.

It's an interesting thought, but kinda splitting hairs at under half a ton... the "half ton" and "one ton" ratings on trucks doesn't really mean anything... I've had 3000lb in the bed of my F350 and probably 1200lb tongue weight towing 6k pounds on the trailer axles then add on the 7400lb truck...

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
The truck handled the load fine, after I unloaded it all at home, I was like gee should have used the trailer so I wouldn't have had to unload it, could have just dropped the trailer next to the shop and used materials right off the trailer as I worked on the project LOL.

Last week I put about 547lbs of scrap metal in the back of the truck and took it over to the recycling center. Didn't even notice it back there.

I have to say its so nice having a pickup again for all this stuff.

The trouble is if I took the trailer I would have had to drive a different vehicle because my Ranger doesn't have a trailer hitch on it LOL.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
I think a few hundred pounds is over thinking things... Your drivetrain is fairly stout, if you had an automatic trans and were driving a long distance that's one thing... I think the rear axle is rated for around 2800lb, probably has 1200lb or less including rotating mass which doesn't count in capacity.

It's an interesting thought, but kinda splitting hairs at under half a ton... the "half ton" and "one ton" ratings on trucks doesn't really mean anything... I've had 3000lb in the bed of my F350 and probably 1200lb tongue weight towing 6k pounds on the trailer axles then add on the 7400lb truck...
I wasn't really thinking of overloading anything, I was just trying to decide really what's better lugging around a trailer to haul stuff or just putting it in the bed of the truck...I guess the decision more or less at this point comes down to convenience and in my case taking the trailer would have been more of a better choice because I had to load it at the store, then come home and unload it because I need the truck for other projects and could have left the load of materials on the trailer LOL. Oh well, gives me an excuse to drive the pickup LOL.

I think the rear axle is rated for about 2,000lbs according to the door sticker.....Not sure I'd want to try and put a ton in the back of the truck LOL. 1,000lbs doesn't seem to far fetched for what the truck could handle, as I had plenty of space without bottoming out the suspension, with the weight I had in it, it was riding pretty nice and smooth though LOL.

Thanks everyone for the responses. More of a matter of preference and what's being done, and in my case for this a trailer would have been better as to avoid handling the materials an extra time or 2 in the process...but hey it gives me more reasons to drive the truck. That's what I got it for was doing stuff around the house, property, and hauling materials whenever I need, stuff I wouldn't want to try and toss in the bronco 2 or wouldn't fit anyways.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
That's mainly the point I was trying to make, the Ranger platform is fairly stout (why I bought the '97 for a daily driver), you aren't going to wear it out doing that here and there, it's what it was meant for.

Rear axle weight ratings are weight on the axle I believe, so that wouldn't include the weight of the axle and tires, but on a 2wd that's maybe 300lb...

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Different perspective: trailer is less convenient, but you’re risking the trailer, not your transportation.

assuming you’re not grossly overloading, if the load is in the trailer and you hit a curb or pothole, you bust a $60 wheel and tire and maybe bend a $100 axle, which are simple to fix. Hit the same big hole or curb with the truck, and you could do
hundreds of dollars in damage.

The trailers are also usually built more solid. It’s usually busted or not, where the truck can get all messed up in alignment and other “out of place” bent or damaged problems.

biggest strain on the truck, assuming the tongue weight is correct, trailer loaded properly, is directly down the drivetrain: engine to trans to drive shaft to rear end. Very little on the frame, suspension, etc. the biggest factor when towing is to ease off a little, slow down the starts and stops. Pull out easy, go 10-15 mph slower, and stop a little easier. You can tow the moon if you just pull it easily. If you’re flooring it and stomping on the brakes, and revving the engine out, you’re begging for something to snap (or worse). Trick isn’t operating at the limit, but operation in a safe zone, well within the capability of the equipment. Towing “smartly” will always be less wear and tear on the truck, (assuming ya can pull a trailer right!!!)

if you haven’t done it much, it’s also critical to understand how to load a trailer. 60% of the load (or more) has to be forward of the top point. On a single axle, that’s the axle point. On a double axle, it’s between the axels. If the weight is higher in the rear, the trailer will start to sway at speed. Once it starts, it’s a resonant frequency swing: each wobble builds energy, and if you try to slow down, the speed loss adds to the sway. Basically, once you start to sway, something’s going to wreck. & if you have a good trailer hitch, when the trailer flips, it will flip the truck. Sooo, on little Rangers, It’s not what the trailer is rated for, it’s how much tongue weight do I get and when to I hit that limit as I load whatever on the trailer with 60% up front.

Having said all that, I’d much rather pull an overweight trailer, easily controlled by simply going slowly and cautiously, than driving an overloaded truck. My 250s and 350 are a lot more forgiving. These little rangers could fold up like a beer can!

my 2 cents....

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Afterthought: a couple guys said you have the extra weight of the trailer. Not exactly. The road now has the weight of the trailer, not you’re truck. The truck has the much smaller (but more dynamic) loSd of pulling the trailer. Again, pulling smartly, there’s no comparison.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
After afterthought: the posted axle weights in the truck are “gross” weights: the weight of the truck plus whatever is in it.! The truck is the biggest part. My 4x4 87 short bed has a 1600# payload. 2wd trucks it’s like 1100 or less (not much). But plenty to pull a trailer.

also, if you’re hauling scrap and such, trailer gets scratched up, not the truck...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
??

If you have 500lbs in the bed then you are pulling/hauling 500lbs

If you have 500lbs on a 500lbs trailer you are pulling/hauling 1,000lbs

The weight is not IN the truck but you still have to move it, pull it, the 500lbs plus the weight of the trailer, and lets not forget the friction of the tires and bearings in the trailer, lol

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Less the 3 k goes in truck unless it's too large.

More then 3 k drags out trailer.

I hate towing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals