• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

toyota axles

BowTech99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 and 1998
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Turbo 2.5L and 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I got a set of toyota axles from my buddy, there 1979, with 5.29's and lockers front and rear. Has anybody heard of ppl using these in these in rangers and what would have to be done to make them fit under the ranger. This is excluding that it is pass. side drop and i would need to modify tfr case and tranny. Let me know what yall think and what all parts would be needed.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I'd use them, are they mini truck or LandCruiser. the LandCruiser axles are stronger than a D60 and the mini truck axles are atleast as strong as a Ford 9"

it would be like any other SAS.

BowTech99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 and 1998
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Turbo 2.5L and 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
they're mini truck axles. should i go leaf sprung suspension or coils? im tryin to research much as i can b4 i do anything

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
leafs are easier, but given the choice I would go coils.

BowTech99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 and 1998
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Turbo 2.5L and 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
A friend of mine has a 85 2wd toyota ext cab that he converted into 4wd usin 79 axles. he's runnin a 307ci out of a nova with 305 heads. the motor is built to the gills and he uses it to play in the mud with. the axles are stock with gears and he slings 40" swampers around and never breaks anything. so i figure them axles gotta be tough

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I don't know if I would sling 40"s around but 35x14.50 or a 37x14.50 no worries.

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
Lancruiser axles can be had with lockers already in them, rear discs, full float rear and high pinion front. I've been looking for a set. Found a rear for $500 a while back.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I'd use them, are they mini truck or LandCruiser. the LandCruiser axles are stronger than a D60 and the mini truck axles are atleast as strong as a Ford 9"
No, not even close.

Stock, the front is weaker than our D35 (mostly due to the birfields). The minitruck rear is probably in between that of the 7.5 and 31-spl 8.8 (probably about the strength of a D44 rear axle). They do hold up well though mostly because the Toyota is so light, and is powered by a small 4cylinder engine. But you can buy a lot of hop-up parts for them as well.

These axles are much narrower than RBV axles though so they wouldn't make a good swap even if you were to get around the passengerside diff.

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, not even close.

Stock, the front is weaker than our D35 (mostly due to the birfields).
Even after getting a set of chromo long's to replace the birf's, they're still not as strong as a stock D60. The locking hubs or inner axle would be the next to go.

Strength Graph - Take a look at stock birf vs D60.

slammer67

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
As far as strength, toy pu axles would not be near a ford 9, but I think would be way better than a d35 ttb, or a D30 SAS.

There are thousands of toyotas running around this country with 35+ tires on the stock axles, and I would bet only about 10-15% are running chromo birfs or longfields. but that is probably the more hardcore group.

The problem you might have, other than changing transfer case, is the length. You'll have to check what the length is on the toy axles cause it may be too narrow for an rbv. I know when I put some toy axles in a sidekick, they were actually about 1-1/2" narrower than the stock "kick axles were.

You might be able to get away with it with some wheel spacers, but I personally wouldn't go that route cause the turning radius would probably suck.

You could probably sell those toy axles cause toyata guys are just as crazy about doing SAS's as we are, then get at least a D44

BowTech99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 and 1998
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Turbo 2.5L and 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
thanks guys yall been buch of help. i just keep on lookin around for an axle for the ranger. but yaeh i know the birfs make them weaker and need to be replaced with chromo, but i'll prolly keep the yota axles and put them under something and make like a big 4wheeler or somethin never know=)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals