• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

tranny help.. need heLP asap!!!

1991fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Okay so my 91 4x4 ranger has the A4lD trans in it. the trans is supposedly only one year old (ive only had the truck a year) when i got it the guy told me the trans was new. the truck was bought from a family friend... well anyways on to my problems. here lately the trans has gotten to where it will not engage into gear. when i drop it down in drive it takes it atleast 5 minutes to go into gear and sometimes it wont, and the only way i can get it to engage when it wont is to give it a little gas and then its still pretty hard to get it to go into gear.. now reverse works just fine. falls right into gear. But drive, first and second all take for ever to go into gear. i have flushed the trans and replaced the filter also.

now i am fed up with how this thing shifts and all. So can someone PLEASE help me? point me in the right direction on how i can fix this. ive searched and searched and havent really found much info so can you help me???

thanks in advanced

BrucesBlack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like the trans is about ready to loose all forward movement , Mine was doing that right before I lost all forward gears , You can try and swap the Modulator on the Cat converter side of transmission , And Look up the Band Adjustment and try that , Other than that you should Get a Trans Psi Gauge and read the Pressure from the Top transmission line outlet on the pass side of trans , There is threads on how to do the pressure test , what the psi Should be around and What to do after the test , Hope I helped Shed some light for you , there Are Sticky threads in the Transmission section

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Okay so my 91 4x4 ranger has the A4lD trans in it. the trans is supposedly only one year old (ive only had the truck a year) when i got it the guy told me the trans was new. the truck was bought from a family friend... well anyways on to my problems. here lately the trans has gotten to where it will not engage into gear. when i drop it down in drive it takes it atleast 5 minutes to go into gear and sometimes it wont, and the only way i can get it to engage when it wont is to give it a little gas and then its still pretty hard to get it to go into gear.. now reverse works just fine. falls right into gear. But drive, first and second all take for ever to go into gear. i have flushed the trans and replaced the filter also.

now i am fed up with how this thing shifts and all. So can someone PLEASE help me? point me in the right direction on how i can fix this. ive searched and searched and havent really found much info so can you help me???

thanks in advanced
I got zinged when I purchased our BII when the PO stated the transmission was 'rebuilt'. The moron didn't tighten/torque the pump bolts to the bell housing. So it couldn't build pressure correctly.

If I had to guess? You've got most likely an issue with only first gear. You can put the truck into any gear you want--but it will start off in first, and upshift until it hits 2 or 3. (A4LD is a 3 speed with overdrive) So you'll have to look at what can dump first gear.

If in manual first gear? It uses the low/reverse band--and skips the one way clutch. (so that's most likely 'good', and the band should also be ok)

But that is only way part of the puzzle. You've also got a clutch pack that is always used in first gear. I feel the problem is with the clutch pack. And from the sounds of it? Most likely a bad seal causing the fluid pressure to leak out and take a long time to build up.

You've never said some key things:

What condition is the fluid in? Nice and pinkish/redish...or brown and smokey.

Is the fluid at the correct level? Low fluid can create a whole host of pressure issues....

Last time the transmission was serviced---(not the lame flush and fill...but filter/oil change/pan gasket..and if so? What was in the bottom of the pan? Normal gray shavings....or chunks of crud)

S-

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Check that you have vacuum pressure to the modulator. I allways knew when my C-3 was getting low on oil it would take a little time for the oil to warm up enough to go into gear. It had a small leak and had to add 1/2 quart every 300 miles. The modulator is on the passenger side next to the cat and can be part of the problem. If you pull the modulator have a pan ready oil will flow out and dont lose the pin that is in it. First replace the vacuum lines to it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/A4LD-UPDATED-ADJUSTABLE-MODULATOR-1985-ON-MADE-IN-U-S-A-/8075008995?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e14edbe3&vxp=mtr

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Check the dip stick :D

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Check the dip stick :D

Which one? The PO that stated the transmission was 'new' and only a year old?

Or the one under the hood?

S-

1991fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
yeah the fluid still looks brand new. he pan was dropped like 7,000 miles ago and a new filter, pan gaskit and new fluid installed. the fluid level is spot on. idk waiting to hear back from the guy we bought it from he was going to call the tranny shop that rebuilt it to see if they would maybe warrenty it. the trans since it was rebuilt only has 16,000 miles on it and according to the guy we bought it from EVERYTHING in the trans was replaced. and when the pan was dropped there was normal gray shavings in the bottom. nothing out of the ordinary

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
ok now that we know it was rebuilt not brand new we can suspect that whoever rebuilt it probabaly didnt torque it all down right which it could work for as long as it has and then with all the vibration it could have backed them off enough.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
ok now that we know it was rebuilt not brand new we can suspect that whoever rebuilt it probabaly didnt torque it all down right which it could work for as long as it has and then with all the vibration it could have backed them off enough.
Let's be honest. The A4LD has 3 methods of rebuild:

Soft Rebuild
Hard Rebuild
Bullet Proof Rebuild

Soft Rebuilds on an A4LD? Seldom last. Just seals, bushings where needed...clutch packs.. no serious steel parts replaced.

Hard Rebuild? All the above + all new steel parts

Bullet Proof? Someone did one of these rebuilds--can't remember if it was here or another forum...But he spent some heavy duty $$ on replacement of pretty much every part with solid $$ upgrades and new parts.

The sad part? The A4LD is actually a decent transmission---but can be a touchy little snotpile once it starts to act up. And you better believe that any hauling? Upgrade the external cooler for a jumbo one!!!

S-

1991fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
yeah cooler is deff on my list of things to do when i get it fixed. im going to put a huge one on it. waiting on the guy who we bought the truck from to get in touch with the trans shop that rebuilt my trans not 15000 miles ago. hopefully they will warrenty it

BrucesBlack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just Use the Stock Radiator cooler then use 2 Stock Aux Coolers in Series , All you need is One extra piece of hose and 2 extra hose clamps , You hold A Little more fluid than stock and You will notice a Difference , I Did ! .

1991fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
pics of that set up?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
My grandfather's 93 Ford Ranger with the same transmission did the exact same thing about a year after it was rebuilt, luckily it decided it wasn't going to engage in gear in the driveway, but still spent all that money to have it rebuilt and it lasted only a year, these transmissions are junk. The old 84 ranger with the 3 speed auto hauled and towed all over the US and never failed, never slipped, these electronic trannies are just plain junk from all the problems that seem to reoccur. I'm glad my 84 B2 has a manual transmission LOL.

BrucesBlack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Here ya Go , My Setup !

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals