• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transaxle valve bodies, NOW I'VE DONE IT!

D.J.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
V-6
Transmission
Manual
Bought a 2001 Dodge NEON to drive to work and for one of my daughters to drive occasionaly to school! It had a shutter in it when decellerating, like it was trying to shift in and out of gear (from drive to second and back and forth, and back and forth, and over and over). Got a solenoid for the transaxle and was going to install it over the weekend. Change transmission fluid and filter, started to remove the valve body and then all the little balls fell out in between the valve body cover and the rest of the body. Has anyone been in this situation before and what would possibly be the cure, besides taking it to the transmission shop? Would like to put it back together but unsure of how to keep all the little balls in the locations where they go and if I do figure out where they do go. What can be used to hold them in place while I install the valve body cover back on without pulling the transaxle, turnind it over and letting gravity help hold them in place. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!:sad::icon_confused::bawling: Also I would really like to finish removing the valve body to install the electronic solenoid but the Haynes manual doesn't address this. any suggestions on this

Last edited:

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Petroleium jelly(vasoline) can be used to hold them in place..........Where they go.......have no idea.Ask a trans shop so you will only have to do it once.

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Your welcome.
Sorry I couldnt help you more.

Bruce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
You only needed to remove the 10mm headed bolts to remove valve body and make sure shifter is in low range.

D.J.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
V-6
Transmission
Manual
I just went out before my shower and tried puting it in low (1st) gear, got under it and tried to remove the rest of the valve body with no success. Any other suggestions, anyone? Also does anyone know how many little ball bearing balls their in this transmission in between the valve body and the valve body cover. I think I can tell where they go by the slotted places in the body.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
what trans do you have (numbers/manufacturer)

D.J.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
V-6
Transmission
Manual
Its just the 3 speed auto and it doesn't have overdrive in it. Not sure of the manu/numbers. Will try to find out tommorrow!

Bruce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
He has a 670.. Did you remove shifter arm and lock solenoid connector?? will it drop down at all?? you may have to undo the 2 bolts (13MM i believe)that holds the end of park rod in position.

D.J.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
V-6
Transmission
Manual
When it was shifted into 1st the shifting rod was loose at the bracket and I went ahead and removed it. It does drop down just a schost but won't come on out. I don't want to force and end up tearing up something else. Thanks for the tips and for the replys.
:sad:

D.J.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
V-6
Transmission
Manual
Any other suggestions as to how the valve body comes out on the 31TH transaxle in a Neon? Thanks D.J.:sad:

D.J.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
V-6
Transmission
Manual
Well I have some news on my project. Talked with the transmission tech at Chrysler and got some good info. Needed to take the shifting cables and brackets off of the top of the transaxle. Pulled those off and sure enough the valve body came out of its perch. Was able to put all the balls back in their proper location without the use of the petroleum jelly with the service manual picture from Chrysler. Put it all back together and added new filter and gasket along with the electric solenoid that is suppusedly bad. Had small problem with the vehicle not wanting to start now. Thought I'd listened to to much Classic Rock while wrenching and ran the battery down. But after charging awhile and then jumping I realized I had gotten the neutral safety switch out of proper adjustment. So later on today I get to drain the new fluid and readjust the shifter rod and see if I can finish it off then. Wish me LUCK!:bawling::icon_bounceblue::sad:

D.J.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
V-6
Transmission
Manual
Finaly caught a break on this project! Worked on it today and after a few times of installing and reinstalling the wheels are turning again, but haven't road tested and cleared it for driving yet! Thanks for all the responses and for wishing me luck!:icon_cheers:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

25th Anniversary Merch

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals