• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission slip / gear won't engage

Vaximily

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Forgot to mention, it was a $30 part (make sure you get the non-color coded one for 4x4, the blue color coded one is for the 2wd). Took about an hour total because of the difficulty getting my hand and a socket wrench up there between the exhaust shield and ATF pan. Added about 4-5 quarts of ATF, so it had burned off a lot, hence all the blue smoke and oil in the vacuum lines.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Vaximily

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
It's broken again! =(

So it had been running perfectly during a 7 mile test drive up to 75mph... after my test drive and letting the truck sit overnight after replacing the modulator valve, I went to take it camping the next day and didn't make it a mile out of town because it wouldn't shift up out of second gear.

What I'm wondering is if somehow the weight load from a few hundred pounds of camping gear and tools could have caused this (I'm going to go take it for another test drive now that it's empty and will probably start a new thread with my findings and the situation).

Are there any other obvious things I should be looking at? I feel like I've seen other threads about not shifting out of second, but never found any with a resolution.

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't know a lot about automatic transmissions, but I guarantee that your truck and transmission are designed to haul several hundred pounds of passengers and cargo with good performance and plenty of safety margin.

That equipment load is not the underlying cause of failure here.

Just for fun, check your modulator valve again. There's a noticeable chance it was either defective or installed incorrectly. Alternately, there may some other problem that's killing your modulator valve, but I don't know if that's likely or not.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals