• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TRS Event TRS 2023 Fall Adventure - Land Between The Lakes

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You need a dog to run down there and raise one leg if it looks ok, two legs if it looks tough, and three legs if there ain't no way

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That's a cool video Jim, Robert too! Not something you'd want to take alone that far from home

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Here's a video of TRS-3 coming out of the trail / forest road that @Robertmangrum.rm and I found in Land Between The Lakes. I get the tires off the ground.

bone stock to bone stock...
these new rigs do so much better that it is hard to quantify it.. the ride and handling and power and gearing in direct comparatives to a gen 1...or even a cj from the 80s really shows well.

even 10 years ago i would have had a hard time envisioning what ford did with this first rollout of the new rangers...

with just this type of build you have at this point its a magnitude better. in actual time and money its just hard to beat. the new trucks are just awesome.

that said...out on the trails there are many hard climbs where 40-46 inch tires are needed to crest certain areas or you have to offset to keep from framing out....from the size of the rigs that climb those trails. it is DEEEP at the top of the climbs. matt347 was able to do that with 31 inch tires on the 88 extended cab ranger....step the front out and up on the rails and stay in it....i dont think any of these new rigs would have had any issues using that technique... it easily left us bellied on a climb with 36 in tires staying centered on the trail in the bronco.

this was due to wheel base and we had a dog in the bronco..... but if we would have stepped off the rut we likely would have rolled anyway... i would like to see how trs3 would have done in those trails.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
That's the thing for me next year, vacation time. I get 3 weeks a year plus 3 personal days but I'm going to burn 2 weeks at once in April because the wife got a deal on an 11 day Caribbean cruise that was too good to pass up. We did 7 days this year and learned that the more you go, the better the deals they send you.
I can carry over 3 days a year to the next year and if I don't take any more time I'll be able to carry over 2.
I'm taking about 8 sick days later this year for getting a new knee in November, then plan on doing the same for the other knee next year.
Between the cruise, the Ford Nationals, and the Truck Nationals, I'll be tight next year.

did you try stem cells....or are ya too damn old already???

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Wait a minute!!!

40hrs per week X 52 weeks = 2080 hrs per year.

You have 1336 hrs in the bank.
2080-1336 = 744hrs left to work
That's 93 days or 18 weeks and 3 days.

Or, if you work a few bad snowstorms, you could finish in late March or early April and be off for the rest of the year.

That's not fair!!!!!!!!!!!!

outstanding work on the video again Eric....that was great....

thank you for all of the work you and the 85 Crew put into this...especially Mrs 85 and co for the breakfast....and Gump fer the chicago gangsta pizza connection...

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
An attempt was made to have something for everyone instead of it being a purely 4X4 event and to make it something the whole family would enjoy.

The event was actually four days. Just not everyone could get the Thursday off. The drive was pretty significant for most of the group. Thus why some seemed to meander their way home. And you can only drive so far with a toddler and not provide entertainment.

My drive was only 10 hours, which while long, is less than the drive others had to make.

With all the activities available at LBL, the trip could certainly be longer. Depending on how far in advance notice is given for the dates, one may be able to take the time off but every individual’s situation is different. If my girlfriend was to come along, for instance, she gets no vacation time. Any time she takes time off, she doesn’t get paid. So, that throws a bit of a wrench in things for me if she wants to come along.
while i prefer to go to windrock....this place definitely has tons to offer and its WAAAAAAY worth it...

i definitely need at least 5 days to go back there....hoping to pull off more...

we were supposed to have left wed night this year...but i dont have a real job like some snoranger types of peoples :thefinger: .... hell i was lucky to even make it.

so next year depending on dream-cruise factors back home in detroit and how well they can ride dirt bikes and stuff...as i may bring some grandchildren and try for a week...

i think i need to get a larger trailer though.... which is not gonna be cheap....

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
while i prefer to go to windrock....this place definitely has tons to offer and its WAAAAAAY worth it...

i definitely need at least 5 days to go back there....hoping to pull off more...

we were supposed to have left wed night this year...but i dont have a real job like some snoranger types of peoples :thefinger: .... hell i was lucky to even make it.

so next year depending on dream-cruise factors back home in detroit and how well they can ride dirt bikes and stuff...as i may bring some grandchildren and try for a week...

i think i need to get a larger trailer though.... which is not gonna be cheap....
Thank goodness you did or I'd had to have someone running me all over the place trying to find parts. I can't thank you enough for getting back up and going.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
did you try stem cells....or are ya too damn old already???
That wouldn't fix my problem. My knee joints aren't that bad, the problem is arthritis behind my kneecaps.
Walking around normally there's no pain, problem is if I bend down I can't get back up and they make funny noises depending how I move.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
That wouldn't fix my problem. My knee joints aren't that bad, the problem is arthritis behind my kneecaps.
Walking around normally there's no pain, problem is if I bend down I can't get back up and they make funny noises depending how I move.
ahhhhhhhhh

i have those problems.......sux. my wife did both....the stem cell side is awesome...the conventional is...meh

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals