• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Truck spit out 6 engine codes - help sorting out what's what

Clumzi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Howdy howdy

So got a code checker for Christmas and finally got around to using it. It spit the following codes;

I reset the codes per the instructions in the book and they come right back. This is from the KOEO test and they are all continuous memory codes.

14 is a mystery to me. Book says Electronic Control Assembly has detected an intermittent loss of Profile Ignition Pick-up (PIP) signal during recent operation. Might of been from knocking a wire loose while changing plug 4 on the intake side.

18 is weird. Truck doesn't have a tachometer, so does this mean DIS problem?

33 - no idea what's up the EGR. Maybe previous owner blocked it off already? Haven't opened it up.

41 - O2 sensor?

51 - wtf? Temp gauge works - not sure what this is?

88 - Again, weird. FWIW I tried the dual coil plug mod and it made the truck run worse.

So yea, truck runs rather well so I was surprised it spit so many codes.

Thoughts? Ideas?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
14 means it isn't seeing the signal it expects to for the spark timing input.

18 has very little to do with a tach. It indicates a wiring issue most likely.

33 means the valve is possibly stuck open, or the sensor is bad. It means it's not seeing it close correctly, so a block-off by a previous owner is out of the question.

41 That's where I would start.

51 There is one sensor for the gauge on the dash, one for the computer. This code refers to the sensor for the computer.

88 This is the oddest of them all to me, mostly because I am unfamiliar with the dual plug systems.

I am not familiar with the dual plug system, but I understand enough of Ford to make a few educated guesses. I would bet that 14, 18, and 88 are all related. Also, if I understand how these signals are routed correctly I believe those are all functions of the EDIS module. It may be at fault.

It runs well because it is in default mode.

Last edited:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
My guess here is you have a intermittent wiring issue you allways address the lowest number first. Pull all the connectors apart and clean with electrical cleaner and use dielectric grease to put them back together. That includes all the sensors and use a jewelers screwdriver to push all the pins in fully from the back side. Clean and inspect all the wiring good especially around the exhaust repair any bare cracked or broken wires. Pull all the grounds apart and sand metal to metal including components that use the mount as a ground. Once your sure the wiring is all good then erase the memory and reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for 1/2 an hour. Then take it for a road trip at medium speeds for at least 20 minutes and pull the codes again. Oh yea be sure and clean the grounds for the computer also there should be two or three your issue could be a bad ground for the computer? If you still get codes fix them one at a time starting with the lowest number erase the memory reset the computer and confirm the repair if you get the 14 to go away likely most of the others will also.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
51 can mean ECT sensors wires are shorted together or ECT sensor is bad.
Or engine is running SUPER HOT

On the 2.3l the ECT sensor is on the drivers side of the block, toward the front and below intake manifold.
You can often see it easier through the wheel well.
It is a 2 wire sensor.
ECT sensors rarely fail, not never just rarely, so check wires first.
Then test sensor with OHM meter, cold engine should have high OHMs, 2,000+

Clumzi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is super helpful, thank you. I'll bet you wouldn't be surprised to learn the battery slowly drains out :). Sounds like a bad ground / bad connection somewhere. For at least part of these.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Check your EEC relay I had that problem once and the relay was stuck on so the computer was allways powered up.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
With the key off check for voltage to the throttle position senser there should be none. If your seeing around 5 volts on one of the pins pull the EEC relay and see if it goes away. If so replace the relay and try it again. Indirect shorts can be a bitch to find but if you want to save the charging system you need to find it.

Clumzi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I bought the EEC relay (prematurely, I won't argue :)) and found pictures online to locate the sucker and wow. How in heck? I couldn't even unplug the relay connector.

So - access to the relays beneath the fuse box. Should I take out the airbox to get down there? It looks like there are just two bolts holding the whole power distribution assembly - should I unbolt it from the side of the engine compartment?

Clumzi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Update: Down to 3 codes. I left the battery disconnected last night. Hooked everything back up and did about 70 miles with the truck today and re-pulled the codes. All that's left is...

18 and 88 seem related and (hopefully) have to do w/ the EEC Relay. 33 seems must related to the EGR (right?).

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well, since 33 is an EGR code, then yes, it must be related to the EGR system.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I bought the EEC relay (prematurely, I won't argue :)) and found pictures online to locate the sucker and wow. How in heck? I couldn't even unplug the relay connector.

So - access to the relays beneath the fuse box. Should I take out the airbox to get down there? It looks like there are just two bolts holding the whole power distribution assembly - should I unbolt it from the side of the engine compartment?
Yes, unbolt the power distribution box.

33 could just be the EGR valve's vacuum line has a leak

Yes 18, 88 are together, most likely the ICM is failing, it is a common failure on 2.3l dual coil ignitions, but............it can often get worn wires so check the connector

Have a read here also:
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72903
page two has results

Clumzi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes, unbolt the power distribution box.

33 could just be the EGR valve's vacuum line has a leak

Yes 18, 88 are together, most likely the ICM is failing, it is a common failure on 2.3l dual coil ignitions, but............it can often get worn wires so check the connector

Have a read here also:
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72903
page two has results
Based on that thread, yea, does sound a lot like the ICM. I'll try the EEC relay first because based on the battery draining issue I'm still hoping that does it. If it doesn't, I'm hoping O'Reilly's has a generous return policy :).

Clumzi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Update: I double checked the fuse box - turns out a 60a fuse was one slot over where it should've been. Swore I already checked my fuses! Anywho, moved the fuse over, reset the computer. Now it seems I've just got one code left. The 33 code went away and the 51 code came back.

Weird

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals