• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Truck wont start

rebel3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Truck cranks but wont start

Hey
Ive got a 1998 Ford Ranger 3.0 manual transmission. I jumped in the truck after work to head home but the truck wouldnt start. I noticed that the fuel pump is not making any noise. I checked the fuses and swapped out A couple relays but still no pump noise. even checked the inertia switch

This ever happen to you guys? sounds like a fuel pump . havent tested anything yet:icon_welder:

Last edited:

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
could check your grounds that may be an issue.

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Try pounding on the bottom of the fuel tank, sometimes a sticking pump will start after a good whack. If it fixes it plan on replacing it pretty quickly...

rebel3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Try pounding on the bottom of the fuel tank, sometimes a sticking pump will start after a good whack. If it fixes it plan on replacing it pretty quickly...
Yep tryed that nothin. Think Im gonna try to see if there is power at the pump:dunno:

rebel3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok I took the box off to get at the fuel pump. I checked the connector comming from the cab. I got around 5volts on two of the wires while cranking and nothing on the other. I want to run 12v of the battery right to the pump to see if it will start but im not sure what wire to use. Also how much voltage should be going to the pump?

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Ok I took the box off to get at the fuel pump. I checked the connector comming from the cab. I got around 5volts on two of the wires while cranking and nothing on the other. I want to run 12v of the battery right to the pump to see if it will start but im not sure what wire to use. Also how much voltage should be going to the pump?
Not sure...........but my 87/88 truck has a fuel pump relay on the right inner fender under the hood and that caused same problem for me one day...beat on it wiht a rock since I didn't have a spare with me and it started right up. Changed it out when i got home!

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Best thing to use to get 12 v to the pump is two wires form the battery to the pump. Dont have to be fancy, Just put a battery terminal connector on one end of each wire to ensure a good connection, and however you wanna do the pump ends of the wire as longa s you know your gettin a good connection. Hell you only really even need one long wire and one short one to ground to the frame.

CAUTION: I WOULD SUGGEST DRAINING THE TANK AND LETTING IT AIR OUT ANY FUMES FIRST, OTHERWISE REMOVE THE PUMP AND BATTERY AWAY FROM THE TANK.

After cash for clunkers , we dont want any crispy rangers.

rebel3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Best thing to use to get 12 v to the pump is two wires form the battery to the pump. Dont have to be fancy, Just put a battery terminal connector on one end of each wire to ensure a good connection, and however you wanna do the pump ends of the wire as longa s you know your gettin a good connection. Hell you only really even need one long wire and one short one to ground to the frame.

CAUTION: I WOULD SUGGEST DRAINING THE TANK AND LETTING IT AIR OUT ANY FUMES FIRST, OTHERWISE REMOVE THE PUMP AND BATTERY AWAY FROM THE TANK.

After cash for clunkers , we dont want any crispy rangers.
gonna give it a try this morning thanks

rebel3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
removed the sending unit. Took the pump out and hooked it up direct 12v with long wires. no go so it the pump:icon_idea:

thanks guys

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals