• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

trucks really shakey at 70 to 90 kilmeters per hour

MUDDING B-3000

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 , 1992
Make / Model
Ford , Ford
Engine Size
7.3L , 4L
Transmission
Manual
well i gota 92 ranger xt cab SB, 6" SJ lift 3" body, an 36" iroks an well i know there not balanced i cant find a place with a bubble balancer. an i bought the tires off my cousing who had them on a Fullsize bronco an he said it had abit of a shake to them. but my truck shakes bad when u hit 70 k an stops around 80 an comes back worse around 95. what would cause that? just having the big unbalanced tire would be a problem but my cousin never had his truck shake this bad. could my front shocks be bad? my tire pressure is 19 in the front an 15 in the back. thats what my cousing ran on his bronco.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
bad shocks bounce you around at all speeds when going over bumps. you may want to change your pressures depending on how much your truck weighs and the weight you need to carry. i'm betting your truck is lighter than your cousin's big bronco. the tires behave differently on your truck because it is an entirely different suspension and frame. wheel and tire balance problem for sure from what you are describing. only fix is to get them balanced. and bubble balancing may not be enough to fix it. you need a spin balancer for the best results... imho.

Last edited:

dirttrackracer

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my truck is the same way stock 91' ranger all suspension is stock except i put air shocks in 4 months ago. whats my problem? around 65 it thumps hit 70 it goes away, and 40mph it thumps around 45 it goes away. by the way its mph. (sorry for the thread jack)

MUDDING B-3000

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 , 1992
Make / Model
Ford , Ford
Engine Size
7.3L , 4L
Transmission
Manual
well ive been playing around with the tire pressure an i have it at 20 in the front 15 in the rear. it seems to help. an with the tire balancing i was told that a spin balancer will never balance a big mud tire, that i will keep throwing a different number an i need a bubble balancer.?

also it seems that since the iroks are really soft they flat spot easy when it sits an is cold out. an once u drive down the road for a bit they warm up an run better.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
That is still wayyyy to low of a tire pressure for street use.

I run my 36x12.50r15 TSL SX's at 35psi front and 30 rear on my 91 ranger.

I'm running internal balance beads in my swampers, its helps quite a bit.

As for flat spotting any bias ply will do that, mine do it as well.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Pop the front beads off the tires and dump an overlevel bottom of a pop/beer can of copper/brass BB's into each tire. I have balanced just over a dozen sets of tires like this, from 33's to 39's and have yet to have an issue. They will balance the tire at any speed and make up for torn out chunks of tread, mud in the wheels etc...

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My truck kinda does that too...I'm blaming it on my two piece driveshaft tho...once I do the swap and if it still shakes...well then. Haha...also Walhstrom what do you mean overlevel bottom of a beer can? Like turn it over and fill up the bottom till it over flows? ...interesting...I should do this. Definitely cheaper!

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Flip it over, fill it to just above level, but not as high as you can heep them.....then pour'm into the tire. The 2 piece will cause a vib as well, and is definately noticeable just after take off.

MUDDING B-3000

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 , 1992
Make / Model
Ford , Ford
Engine Size
7.3L , 4L
Transmission
Manual
alright ya i heard about the BB's thing i just forgot about that ill definatly try that, i was thinking about taking the truck to a freightliner dealer an see if they could balance them but this way will be alot cheaper then that. an sasquatch ill have to take ur word on that an run them up in the 30s an see. i was just told that having them that high will cause the center of the tire to wear out fast on the IRoks.

I took the truck for a drive with a load of junk heading to the dump an with the box loaded it runs smooth but once the wieght comes out it shakes constently.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Having them that low will create excessive amounts of heat in the tire which can lead to a failure with a bias ply.

I get no center wear with my TSL's and they are 8" wide rims.

MUDDING B-3000

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 , 1992
Make / Model
Ford , Ford
Engine Size
7.3L , 4L
Transmission
Manual
alright ill give that a shot. ya my 36s are on 8 inch rims to. i bought them thinking they were 10 but only were 8.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals