• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Upper Intake Gasket Set?

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
Troubleshooting a misfire on my 1995 Ranger (#4, happens under load). Due to another issue (running very lean on lukewarm starts) I pulled the upper intake to see if any of the upper intake gaskets are causing either issue... and upper intake gaskets are hard and flattened. The EGR pipe gasket was also in pretty bad shape as well.

I did retighten the lower intake bolts... they were a tad loose, but not finger loose.

My question is if anybody sells the upper intake gaskets without going to a $70 master set, which has lower intake and valve cover gaskets. I didn't plan on replacing either (the valve covers could probably use new gaskets and a repaint though). All the sets otherwise are just the lower intake gaskets, or the lower intake gaskets and upper intake gasket (the flat kind, not the "spaghetti" kind my intake has), and no EGR pipe gasket. If I have to get the master set, fine, I'll might as well replace all of them while I'm in there. But if not, that would save some unneeded work and expense.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I recently did them all on my 96 Explorer 4.0 and the $70 set you mentioned I got at AZ (still have the box Fel-Pro MS 98005 T )
Took it all the way down(some photos and numerous posts on my 96 Explorer thread) and back and still have enough gaskets and sealer left to do the upper intake and fuel rail again, which could very possibly become necessary, why I can't offer to just send you those :/

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
I'm an idiot.

Neglected to look around rockauto... the parts are available separately. Upper manifold is listed as a "plenum gasket", the EGR tube was listed with the EGR flange gaskets. Also getting a TB gasket while I'm at it since it hasn't been replaced recently... Just over $25 shipped all things considered. Much better.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals