• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Vacuum Hoses

GKM007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Working my way through a Duraspark Conversion and as long as my wire are correct just have my vacuum lines to connect. In my haste of pulling things out I did not mark them and I am wondering where my hoses go

There is a few outlets on the carb, one on the manifold and the tree in the back. Ones I know of are the one from the transmission, pcv, brake booster. I believe all those go to the tree?

Where do the ones on the carb go? Do I need to connect them somewhere or plug them off? Also the dizzy needs a hookup, unsure where.

Also where can I connect the drivers side valve cover breather? I am going to run a aftermarket air cleaner.

One more newb question, but I need to disconnect the vac on the dizzy when timing correct?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Did you change out the carb? The PCV should come off the back bottom of the carb if there is a large nipple there. If it is a non feedback carb use the nipple next to the drivers side idle air needle for vacuum advance. Connect the tranny and brake booster to the tree and just plug the rest of the nipples. If you still have the two solenoids going to the vapor cannister it gets connected to the back of the egr spacer under the carb pointing at the firewall or just plug that nipple also.

GKM007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I deleted the all EGR stuff, canister, air pump, and the thing on the passenger side that connects to the manifolds.

Yes carb is a rebuilt unit from summit
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/urm-7-7553/applications

Okay sounds good thanks for the guidance! Just felt like I was plugging a lot of vacuums off.

Also which way should the dizzy vac nipple point? Drivers or Pass? I popped it back down in the same position the old one came out rotor wise.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Passenger side I believe gives you the most adjustment plus it puts #1 plug wire tower at 11 O Clock makes it easier to set the firing order by the book. You did plug the vacuum port under the brake booster hose under the carb on the egr spacer?

GKM007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Nothing is plugged ATM all vacuums were taken off the rig, minus the brake booster.
Headed out side to start plugging them off. Lets see if I can get it to start.

GKM007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Okay so plugged in all vacs and plugged the rest.

No start / acts like it wants to but does not fire. Feels like a timing thing to me. I can rotate the dizzy to get it to respond more to cranking but cannot rotate enough to get it in time. Need to pull the number 1 and get the dizzy out and back in 11 oclock.

Checked for spark and I have it nice and strong. Damn wire broke when I pulled off the boot too, so off to the store to get a new set. Needed them anyways but would have rather bought later :)

Also the electric choke does not seems to be opening on its own, unless it does that once it has started. Butterflies are closed all the way during cranking.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Pull the #1 spark plug and stick your finger in the hole and turn the crank clockwise until you feel compression then line the timing mark at TDC on the damper. Look at the position of the rotor it needs to be at 11 oclock. Once you have it at 11 then put the cap on and set the firing order from there. It is easier to mark the damper pully from underneath put a light mark one line back from the 12 on the pully you want it exactly 10 degrees with the vacuum advance disconnected and plugged. Let the engine fully warm up and check it again after the distributor is locked down.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
It may take a few times to get it right as the oil pump may not let you push the distributor all the way down just turn the crank two full turns as you press lightly on the distributor to line up the pump shaft then go back to TDC on the compression stroke and look at the rotor. Make sure the vacuum advance is pointing toward the passenger side.
1-4-2-5-3-6 clockwise from 11 oclock

GKM007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Transmission
Automatic
So pretty sure she is in time. Got #1 TDC far as I can tell and rotor is point at 11.

I wasnt going to touch the carb until I checked everything else, but I may have found my issue. The needles seemed way off. Passenger was 5.5 turns out and the Drivers was around 6.5 From what I have read here 2.5-3.5 is a good starting place (set it to 3.5). Just got the plug wires from the store (had to be ordered). Going to plug them in and start cranking, hopefully she will be running soon.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
The best way to adjust the air needles is with a vacuum guage or tach. Once you get the timing at exactly 10 degrees and the engine up to temp slowly turn the needles out for the highest vacuum pressure or rpm. Set the idle speed around 700rpm and do it again you will find the point where the vacuum or rpm only drops when you turn them in. For some reason these engins work best with a rich idle air mix and a smaller high speed jet. If the carb has #50s in it get some #42s and fine tune it again. That should improve top end performance immensely.

GKM007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Could not tell you what the jets are in this. What ever was stock for a 78 Mustang II is what this is built after.

Vac gauges are above my knowledge base to be honest. I am in unfamiliar territory with carb stuff. But I do have a tach, just need to install it.

GKM007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Everything plugged in, and it will run like its on a couple cylinders. Really smooth and quiet, its odd.

I am a little lost on what to do, I feel like its something easy.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Are you sure the firing order is correct?

GKM007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Yea I just hooked up brand new wires and wrote the fire order on the cap.

Just went outside and double checked too. They are on correct. Damn rain started again too!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals