• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Very Frustrated, Please HELP!!!

hilltopfarm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L/2.9L
Transmission
Manual
So i'm trying to get my oil pan gasket put on. This is the upper oil pan, cast aluminum. My truck is a 03' 4.0L SOHC. I ran into these two little tabs that stick down on the rear output shaft side of the gasket. Wondering what to do with these tabs. I'm getting very frustrated, because I wanted to drop the engine in my truck today and this is all that is holding me up. I don't want to get it installed only to find that I have an oil leak on the oil pan, and have to pull it again. Both the shop manual and the Chiltons that I have do not mention these. The pictures of my problem are below... Thanks for any help!!

hilltopfarm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L/2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Any ideas?? Anyone??? I would like to drop the engine in my truck tomorrow, so I need to get this one figured out... Thanks

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
those tabs look like they are supposed to tuck into the groove on your main bearing hump. they are probably there to keep the gasket from spreading out. See if you can work them in and down far enough that the rubber sits flush on the bearing hump and then torque it down lightly.

AJ

hilltopfarm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L/2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thats what I thought too, but the tabs are quite a bit wider than the slot in the bearing hump. Maybe I just need to get a screwdriver and work them in there?

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
that or maybe shave the tabs a bit.

AJ

hilltopfarm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L/2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, maybe that is what I need to do. I thought that it can't be right to shave a oil pan gasket, but I could be wrong. There is no way that those tabs are going to fit down the slots as they are.

All i'm concerned about is ensuring that the thing does not leak...if it does I have to pull the engine again to fix it...that would NOT be a happy day

So I guess plan B is to shave the tabs so that they fit, then RTV the areas where the manual says to, and torque it all down to spec and hope for the best!

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Cut the tabs about 1/4" below the mounting surface (to where the tabs will go 1/4" into the groove). They are designed to keep the gasket from walking away from the cap during pan install. It is a good idea to put a dab of RTV at all four corners of the main caps to help prevent leaks...

SVT

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'd shave it just enough to tuck down into the hole. That's the only thing that seems right.

And of course a dab of RTV never hurt anyone.

hilltopfarm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L/2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks everyone for all the answers. I am going to shave those tabs down and install the gasket with RTV at the appropriate places. Thanks again everyone!! :icon_thumby:

hilltopfarm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L/2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Question...?

I have one more question about the oil pan. I ended up torquing it down and freaked out the at I might not have torqued the oil pump bolts...so took it off again, all was torqued to spec. I then repositioned the lower engine cradle back onto the block, and torqued to spec. That is when I noticed that my Ford Shop Manual and my Chilton manual list two different specs for the torque.

Here is what the Shop Manual says:

Chiltons says the following:

So which spec do I go with? The higher one in Chiltons or the Shop Manual. I'm inclined to go with the Shop Manual specs...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals