• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Vietnamesium lawn mowers

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
These are junk. Avoid them. I have a 150cc Pulsar push mower that lasted 1 season. Second season I had to replace the carb because now amount of cleaning could fix the bent non replaceable jet. 3rd season the recoil starter broke and is unavailable from the manufacturer.
So this year because it has been a bad year financially I just bought the new mower I could afford (after weeks of getting used mowers sniped right out from under me and the grass in my yard getting waist deep) which was a powersmart from Walmart.com. This is the cheapest junk mower I have ever bought. If I could get parts for my 40 year old craftsman I would just use that. The powersmart has a 209cc horizontal shaft engine that turns a vertical shaft gearbox that goes to a belt drive to turn the blade. After 4 uses…. 6 hours of engine time… the rings are shot….. it’s burning oil… in 6 hours is fouled 2 spark plugs….. and now the blade shaft is bent without hitting anything solid. Just the tension from the drive belt. Among other small minor problems like the rear bag cover spontaneously popping off when emptying the bag causing the springs that keep it closed to go MIA….. when I attempted to contact powersmart it took a week to get a response and there have been no further responses.

When I call I just get put in an endless loop of hold music, line ringing, silence, and back to hold music. This loop takes approximately 20 min. After an hour (because I’m persistent) it hangs up on you. When trying the tech support line it hangs up on you after 10 minutes.
when reviewing the warranty it says that the mower has to be shipped to their facility in its original packaging at your expense….. shipping both ways costs more than the mower…. I am seriously considering loading this up in my Jeep and driving it to their facility in Illinois because that would be the cheapest option.

When you go to leave a review, if it’s negative …. It just goes into a loop of telling you that you are missing required information and not allowing you to post your review. If it’s positive the review goes right through.

for the amount of money that I have spent on this mower ($193) I could’ve bought a predator engine from harbor freight which has really good reviews…..

To sum up…. If you bought something that is Vietnamesium…. And an important part breaks…. You can not get a replacement because they only support a model for the production period. Once that is up, they no longer support it. And Vietnamesium has a build quality that makes me miss the build quality of Chinese built products…. Sorry for ranting but apparently I have no recourse…. And…. Now way to finish mowing my lawn because my Husquavarna riding mower is too big and cumbersome to get around my trees.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Viet heat treated is far as I would go, they're good at that.

My last mower was maybe 4 years ago, from Walmart for around $150 Briggs and Stratton USA 300 4.5 maybe 23" cut I just leave it in some shade where I get done with it, used starting fluid a time or two but otherwise it's just crank and push

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
For some odd reason, I was expecting a picture of a herd of goats.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I finally found a way to order parts from their website. The part I need is out of stock. The warranty says the return shipping is prepaid but there is no way to return it because you have to call to get a shipping label and they don’t actually answer the phone. Fine. I have tools, I have YouTube, I have 40 years of taking things apart and some times those things run after I put them back together….. I can disassemble this mower down to its major parts and replace whatever bearing seat and shaft that bent because of belt tension…. But in order to do that, I need to be able to buy the part. I’m beyond frustrated with this. It’s time for a nap

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Reminding me of Volkswagon days, then those Jaspanesiums ;)
In the 60's and 70's they were the major gripes

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Did it have oil when you first used it? There's your mower at the bottom of the list, then the next one up says "oil included." :unsure:

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I was wrong…. It’s made in China.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It did not have oil. Had no specification for oil…. Just capacity. I used left over STP 10w40 from the oil change on my S10

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think on the small engine you would want simple 30 weight non-detergent oil, get it at dollar store

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Why put the same parts back in that already broke?

Might be able to come up with something that doesn’t break after a couple uses with some off the shelf components

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I think on the small engine you would want simple 30 weight non-detergent oil, get it at dollar store
Not on over head cam engines. It will work but according to hours of digging on YouTube, when you add the optional premeasured oil bottle with it, it uses 10w30. I don’t recall seeing that option on Walmart.com

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Why put the same parts back in that already broke?

Might be able to come up with something that doesn’t break after a couple uses with some off the shelf components
I don’t know. I’ve never seen a push mower before with a horizontal shaft engine into a vertical shaft gearbox to a drive belt before…. This is not a self propelled push mower…. This looks like just extra steps ….. costly steps

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
I don’t know. I’ve never seen a push mower before with a horizontal shaft engine into a vertical shaft gearbox to a drive belt before…. This is not a self propelled push mower…. This looks like just extra steps ….. costly steps
Oh I was looking at the wrong model. That is a very odd looking engine.
mower.png

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Sounds like someone got a really good deal on a crate of horz shaft engines….

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
i would go back to used mowers.

i always found them at the local swap meets for cheap.

the best mowers ended up being about 15 dollars and were spray painted red and the motor was spray painted black. no idea why though.

i would like to find one of those riding mowers that were only around 30 or 32 inch decks and were made for going through fence gates to get the back yards of small middle class homes. i have a 53" deck rider and its a pain behind the garage and around the travel trailer because of the fence.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals