• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Voltage Regulator Wiring Differences

TenSeven

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The markings on Ford voltage regulators differ. Some are F234, some are IASF. On a typical Delco 3 wire alternator with connection markings of FLD,BAT,STA and GRD, how would either of those two regulators be connected?

For example,

F->FLD
2->
3->
4->

I->
A->
S->
F->FLD

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
BAT or B+ is easy, that connects directly to the Battery +(positive), thru a Mega Fuse or Fusible link.

STA = Stator, these are the 3 stationary windings in the case of the alternator, the spinning rotor's electro-magnetic fields generate AC voltage in the Stator, this AC voltage is converted to DC voltage via 2 Diodes per winding.
This is B+

I = ignition switch, it gets power when key is turned on, the power passes thru the Battery Light in the dash, this is the ON/OFF switch for the alternator.
An alternator draws power when it isn't generating power so need to be turned OFF.
This power draw is seen when Battery Light comes on, power is passing thru the bulb to the alternator so it lights up, when alternator starts to generate power then no power is passing thru the bulb so it goes off.
(one wire alternators use an internal RPM switch for this, which shuts off alternator when RPMs drop below set threshold, so battery won't drain when engine is off)

F = Field voltage, the fields are electro-magnets in the rotor.
The field voltage is applied to the rotor thru brushes, the amount of voltage sent to the fields determines the amount of voltage that comes out at B+.
So the Voltage Regulator controls the Field voltage, example: 8 volts going to field would produce 14volts out at B+ assuming alternator is spinning at 2,000 RPM(alternator, not engine), the gain in voltage is from engine power.

S= Sensing voltage, this is part of voltage regulator circuit, it connects directly to Battery + as well, via a fuse or fusible link.
This is how the voltage regulator monitors system voltage so it knows how much voltage to send to the Field.

GND is of course the Ground, usually just the mounting bolts for alternator but many add another Ground wire.
With separate voltage regulator then ground between alternator and regulator should be wired

Never ran into an old Ford with F234

GM yes
F = Field, to alternator
2 = R, to alternator
3 = S, sensing voltage, from battery
4 = I, ignition ON/OFF, from key switch

Opps

Forgot IASF
I = ignition, to key switch
A = B+
S = sensing, to battery
F = Field

Last edited:

TenSeven

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you Ron, great info, I appreciate it.

That solves a bit of a mystery.

On a project I have Ranger 2.8 in a Sunbeam Alpine. The 2.8 came with a newer 3 wire Delco alternator. I found an article that shows how to use a Delco alternator in an Alpine using a Delco voltage regulator but thinking along the lines of my Ford 2.8 alternator I bought an 85 Ranger 2.8 voltage regulator, which is apparently different (at least in markings) from the Delco regulator.

http://teae.org/fitting-a-delceries-v-alpine/

The article diagram shows the 3 wire connection to the alternator but the alternator markings show F (FLD), BAT, and R? Going to the (Delco) regulator #2 connection.

I've been trying to figure out how to use the Ford regulator when apparently I should be using a Delco regulator?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There should be just 2 wires from an external Regulator to the alternator, 3 if you count the Ground wire, which should be used.

Field
And the confusing one, lol, R, A or S because depending on the model/year they change, S is for Stator in this case, it is basically the same as B+
Alphabet soup :)

This connection is almost always next to the Field wire connector, labelled #2, S or A

But yes, getting a similar year Delco Voltage regulator for the Delco alternator would be best.

TenSeven

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Geez, ya, confusing, especially when following a diagram but have a different regulator than depicted :icon_confused:

Anyhow, so the diagram does look to be correct in that it does show only two connections to the alternator from the regulator.

So, using the correct regulator this time, #2 would connect to the STE (S/R) post on the alternator I have.

Thank you Ron.

TenSeven

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
One other thing, I noticed in the article the author writes to connect not only connect F to F, but also connect #2 to F, yet the diagram shows #2 being connected to R?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
#2 would probably have 12v, depends on regulator
That would set alternator at MAX output voltage all the time, 15+volts, and that can "cook" a battery over time.

The whole point of the voltage regulator is so battery stays charged but doesn't "cook", boil away chemicals inside.
13.5volts maintains a 12volt battery charge without cooking it, 14.5-15volts recharges battery after starting engine, so you often see 15volts just after starting but it should drop down to about 13.5v after a few minutes, that's the voltage regulator working.

Field voltage is 5 to 9 volts, that goes into the rotor, and that sets the output voltage you get from B+, Field voltage is what regulator controls

TenSeven

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
#2 would probably have 12v, depends on regulator
That would set alternator at MAX output voltage all the time, 15+volts, and that can "cook" a battery over time.

The whole point of the voltage regulator is so battery stays charged but doesn't "cook", boil away chemicals inside.
13.5volts maintains a 12volt battery charge without cooking it, 14.5-15volts recharges battery after starting engine, so you often see 15volts just after starting but it should drop down to about 13.5v after a few minutes, that's the voltage regulator working.

Field voltage is 5 to 9 volts, that goes into the rotor, and that sets the output voltage you get from B+, Field voltage is what regulator controls
Thanks.

Des that mean the diagram is correct (#2-R, or S on my alternator), but what he wrote in the article is wrong? (#2->F)

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Models and years

Things change, can't say it is wrong because for that model regulator with that model alternator it might be right.

TenSeven

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Models and years

Things change, can't say it is wrong because for that model regulator with that model alternator it might be right.
Fair enough my friend, appreciate the help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals