• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Water Leak On Headliner

hntr45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, so I have a water leak on my headliner in the back over the rear window. I know its common for the third brake light to leak so i put some silicone on it but I'm still having the leak just as bad. Any suggestions?

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
If you have not down this.....remove the third break light and clean it really good, really clean the mounting area and put sealer around the third break light and around the mounting area. Use a good silicon sealer as well. This should stop the leak. Make sure you do not see any cracks on the third break light.

buckshotmudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.G0
Transmission
Manual
Seal the screws too. I re-sealed mine but found out it was the rubber around the window leaking.

hntr45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I have a feeling the rubber on my back glass could be leaking too.. If that is true for me, howd you go about fixing it? Just take out and reseal the back glass?

cjk5063

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Any updates on this? I have to check my brake light first but just in case...

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
It's most likely the window seal . I did my third and still getting water . Now my headliner has black mold stains I guess [emoji13] so now I need to do the seal and headliner . Which I may change to a flannel print just to be different

I just wanna go fast [emoji48]

cjk5063

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The seal along the top of the rear window?

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
Yes It's one whole seal. The window bolts in

I just wanna go fast [emoji48]

hntr45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know this is kind of an old post now, but does anybody know where to get a new window seal? I'm assuming the window seal is the black rubberish trim around the glass.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Might print that off and ask around parts stores, bodyshops and even check rockauto. LMC is great at supporting Ranger's in one place but they don't always have the best pricing so shop around.

I need to get mine back together and hit it with the hose, I think my rear window gasket might be leaking too. Mine is all steel inside but the floors have been getting wet and I noticed water lines running down the back while fixing the dome light. Dunno if it is from the 2-3 times I have forgotten the rear window open or it is a leak.

Last edited:

lithiumbomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know this is kind of an old post now, but does anybody know where to get a new window seal? I'm assuming the window seal is the black rubberish trim around the glass.
I just followed this procedure on my '98 extended cab with sliding rear glass.

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/how-to-submissions/17386-reseal-ranger-rear-window-98-09-a.html

And used 3M Window Weld ribbon, 5/16."

http://www.amazon.com/3M-08611-Window-Weld-Ribbon-Sealer/dp/B000CQ4AOE

I don't know if the same procedure would apply to your '97.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

hntr45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for all the info. I put some marine grade silicone on my third brake light and if that doesn't hold, I guess ill try resealing the window

RangerDaddy

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Headliner leak issue found

I realize this is an old post but just thought I can add to this after having the same issue. My father has given me his 93 that is pristine in condition never having seen a winter here in Canada. Rust was not an issue. The carpet had almost an algae / mold smell to it. I have literally pulled the interior completely out seats, carpet, all plastics, headliner. In my quest I had taken the truck to have the back window removed and then put back in using urethane by my local glass shop. Came home and the next rain..water and when I removed the headliner it was wet in the drivers side upper corner....above the window. After taking it back to the glass shop the guys there found a couple of things....the roof / cab back seam was open for over an inch...you could shine a light from inside to outside ...problem one...The other issue was in the same body seam line there was a crack that ran all the way up and under the extended cab rain trough gutter insert which was allowing water to get inside the cab wetting the headliner. The crack and open joint can't be seen from inside the cab due to a double wall construction on the back of the cab and roof area. I plan on sealing it up with some urethane for the larger open seam and then using some thin flowable sealer of some sort that will creep into the small crack that runs up under the insert in the rain gutter. That should fix all the leaks.....I hope.
RangerDaddy is online now Add to RangerDaddy's Reputation Report Post Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals