• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Water temp gauge question...

RangerMan64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hello,

I just picked up a new water temp gauge today and installed it, man is it great! But, I want to know where to connect the leads for the back lighting. What do I connect the positive lead for the light to? What would a good ground be?

Thanks

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Saw a post recently with the same question. Seems the cigarette lighter light is a good place since it only has current when the instrument lights are lit.:icon_thumby:

RangerMan64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I already wired it. I used the illumination from the old radio harness. I really recommend this, as your light will dim with your other lights, and you don't even have to tap into another wire.

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Cigarette lighter port should be hot all the time. Don't use as a source for anything that needs to be switched. For future reference, connect the light to any wire in the dash lighting.:)shady

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The lighter illumination bulb wire:icon_thumby:, not the lighter itself, was what I was referring to. But the radio illumination wire seems like a better idea anyways.

Dropt_98Rngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L 4Cyl
Transmission
Manual
Hello,

I just picked up a new water temp gauge today and installed it, man is it great! But, I want to know where to connect the leads for the back lighting. What do I connect the positive lead for the light to? What would a good ground be?

Thanks
Which sensor / wire did you tap into for your temp gauge to work? I just got one, have the light wiring installed but have not figured out how to hook it into the system

RangerMan64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Since the factory gauge is unreliable, just get rid of the sender for the stock gauge and put your new sender where the old one is. Don't know which one it is on your 2.5L, so look online or your Haynes manual for the correct sender. Make sure you disconnect the gauge sender and not the computer sender.

Dropt_98Rngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L 4Cyl
Transmission
Manual
Can both the dash gauge & aftermarket gauge be run off of the same sensor? And if not any reason why? Not trying to be a jerk or anything, just trying to learn why things have to be more complicated than you would think

RangerMan64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
No they can't. The stock gauge is pretty much just a dummy light. The only way you could run both is run a T adapter into the fitting. Not recommended, as the temperature will be off.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals