• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Weird noise from intake after hydrolock

Birdmanman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
2003 ford ranger 4.0sohc,no egr valve,auto transmission,173,000 miles,no ticks clunks or anything obvious wrong with it.PCV valve is good.
Hi,i was wondering if anyone has any ideas?I went through giant ruts full of water,about 2 feet deep.While going through the first one my truck stalled from hydrolock but got it started and continued on.I got to the next one and it happend again but took about 10 minutes to start again,but i was framehung.Next day my buddy pulled me out and it started right up but ran weak for the rest of the day.When i start it up it runs fine but turn it off and a hiss comes from the intake,then instantly turn the ignition back on and a thump then hiss comes from the intake.If i wait like 5 seconds before turning it back on no thump and hiss happens.Seems like when the iac opens it releases pressure from the intake manifold.Any ideas?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
first off....from now on id be a lot more careful going through deep water, your liable to cost yourself an engine....if you havnt already.

secondly,any check engine lights on? if so, pull the codes because that can point us in the right direction.

the only hissing and thumping ive ever heard from the intake-ish area is the heater controls on the passenger side bleeding vacuum, then the thump of the blend door sucking back into position once vacuum is applied.

if you have a vacuum guage you could connect it to a vacuum source and check for a bent valve, which could possibly push pressure into the intake...

Birdmanman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the reply.I know i didnt think it was as rutted out as it was,it was at night.No cel on.I dont have a vacuum gauge but if i can get one what should it be at?Also could a compression test tell me anything,i was gonna try it tommorow.

Last edited:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i picked up a compression guage from a local wrecking yard for $5 (a lot of old 70's vehicles came with them from the factory). if not, $20 at a local parts store should do.

a compression test isnt a bad idea...but if you bent a valve or rod, it would be missing on one cylinder and should trip a CEL.

naford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'd take the whole plastic intake off anmd give it a good cleaning. Not the intake manifold but the intake where the filters is at. I bet you'll find dirt in it.

Birdmanman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Fully cleaned that out,with new filter.I know it is not coming from the crank case vent hose,but the intake manifold.Seems like when i turn the key back on the iac opens and it vents through that.

Crunchy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hydro'd in only 2 feet of water, how fast were you going? My bumper wouldn't even be underwater at that depth and I'm mostly stock.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Hydro'd in only 2 feet of water, how fast were you going? My bumper wouldn't even be underwater at that depth and I'm mostly stock.

My Explorer was hydro'd in 1.5 feet of water. Sometimes it splashes in just right. Only takes a little H20 to lock up an engine.

Birdmanman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i was going like 15mph,it was a rediculous rutt.i figured out its a buildup off vacuum and im suspecting the vacuum resivoir canister/vacuum reserve tank.Is there a solenoid or valve that go's to it?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals