• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

well well

87Rangerdude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
i finally decided to part with my 87' and start fresh, i happen to know a guy in town that had an 85 ranger that one of hit clients gave to him as payment, but its in rough shape, anyways i traded my 87' and a couple of junk motorcycles for the 85' since it runs and everything. i discovered that i has some substantial frame rot just behind the driver's side cab mount, so ill have to weld a support there, also the driver's side floor pan is completly absent so i'll have to weld some sheetmetal there or something. i also later found out that the clutch is alsmost completly shot. the engine pisses oil like theres no tomorrow, so it looks like im up for another challenge haha. hopefully this one wont bite me in the ass as much as the 87 did. hopefully it will RIP, it had a long hard life as a work mule. ill get some pics up as soon as i find my camera, so stay tuned for further updates.

87Rangerdude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
got the 85 2.8 now, it has no bed so im thinking of building a flatbed and putting my Y pipe on it and maybe duel stacks, 5" good? what do you guys think about rangers with duel stack exhausts? if it looks anything close to what i think it will look it will be pretty bad ass. its got duel tanks, the previous owner was going to fill the rear tank with cement since it has a small hole in it. anyways let me know what you guys think. ill get pics up asap.

Last edited:

87Rangerdude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic

87Rangerdude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
sorry for the picture quality, i was trying to snap a few before it got dark tonight

87Rangerdude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
its getting a new tank tomorrow, i dropped the front tank and its got holes and lots and lots of rust the gas i siphoned out of it was like orange goo with dead lizards and bugs mixed in :blush:

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I must say the engine bay looks alot cleaner than mine, looks dura sparked maybe? probably not. oh well, good find though, cleaner then anything I found.

87Rangerdude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
i dont believe its dura spark'd but that will be added to my to do list. would you guys happen to know of a good performance muffler for a 93' F150 300 6 cyl? my stepdad's birthday is coming up soon and i was thinking of getting him something for his truck.

lil red

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
flowmaster super 44, or 44hd they sound AMAZING!
also i do like 6 bangers with exaust work by sawzall, i know its redneck, but it sounds great

87Rangerdude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
im kind of skeptical about getting him something for his truck, hes really personal about it, but i figure a new toy for his "toy" might be better than the liquor gas pump i bought him last year :D

87Rangerdude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
anyways back to the topic, im going to the scrapyard where my 87 is tomorrow to pick up the fuel tank, then within the next few weeks im gonna have this truck registered and road ready :yahoo:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Looks like you got a good start for your project.

Do not put stacks on it. It looks retarded and 5" pipes are WAY too big for any gas engine.

Out of curiosity, why was the PO going to fill the tank with cement? Seems like it would be much easier to just remove the tank and toss it than weight the truck down with 200 pounds of cement...

87Rangerdude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
not sure, i guess for added traction thats my best guess

87Rangerdude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
i got the new gas tank yesterday. i have a new problem now, i put some gas in a clean coffee can and stuck the FSU in it hoping to run some clean gas through the engine, and it would run great for about 10 minutes while i sat and watched it, but it would bog out and stall, even after running clean gas through. i tried about 3 or 4 more times but it wouldnt even stay started, now when i turn the ignition, i get a weird buzzing noise from the solenoid. the starter was in excelent shape so i dont think its burnt out. any suggestions anyone?

84projectFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
kinda sounds like the the alternator aint workin and it was runnin off your batt till the batt died.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals