• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What’s for dinner tonite!

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15
Just standing there taking a picture...

So you're saying I should have git my kilt in the picture too?
Well, just sayin'....if you're gonna put it out there, go for broke :)

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Burgers on the grill tonight. Think my little grill is about done for, the regulator seems to be sticking. It needs a new everything except the firebox. Probably cost as much as new. Guess it’s time to invest in a portable flat top.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Burgers on the grill tonight. Think my little grill is about done for, the regulator seems to be sticking. It needs a new everything except the firebox. Probably cost as much as new. Guess it’s time to invest in a portable flat top.
You want charcoal with a starter chimney. You’ll never willingly go back to a gas fired grill.

Freshmeat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hey, I was just taking a picture of my air box and too exhausted to crop the picture for you nosy people. You guys are the ones scanning the perimeter trying to see if my junk was in the picture!

Freshmeat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If you get one with a frame for the traditional grill feel, make sure you buy one with wheels. I went “cheap” on my Blackstone and pretty much never used it because it was a pain in the ass and didn’t feel like adding wheels so now it’s my brother’s.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Hey, I was just taking a picture of my air box and too exhausted to crop the picture for you nosy people. You guys are the ones scanning the perimeter trying to see if my junk was in the picture!
Yeah... these guys will call ya out for a mustache hair on your plate...

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
You want charcoal with a starter chimney. You’ll never willingly go back to a gas fired grill.
No, not really. Charcoal would be ok for home use. Not for portable grill for me.

See, you have to understand the reasons I ended up with a portable grill and what I’ve put this grill through…

Back when I worked for Autozone as a hub driver (working 12+ hour days because there were three 4 hour runs in a day for my route), someone got insistent that we take a 1 hour lunch. More often than not, runs were late because parts weren’t pulled in time and most drivers just grabbed food on the run or packed a sandwich. Nobody really wanted to add another hour to the work day. So when the demand that we take a 1 hour lunch came down, it didn’t take long for me to make a plan. The cheap portable grill that my parents had for summer trips went on the truck and I started cooking lunches on my tailgate and would walk next door to the beer store to get a cigar to have with my lunch.

Well, those cheap portable grills aren’t really intended for daily use so I burned out two of them in short order. March of 2016 I bought a brand new CharBroil portable grill and a hose to adapt to a 20# cylinder. That was a game changer, brand new it would easily soar to 650*, which meant that properly searing a steak was possible. It heats up quick and cools down relatively quick so I could pull it onto my tailgate, cook lunch, eat lunch, and slide it back in the bed. All well within an hour. Can’t do that with charcoal really. That became my thing even when I changed jobs. That grill has traveled a lot with me and I’ve learned to cook almost anything on it. I lost track of how many 20# cylinders I’ve emptied with it. Even used cast iron skillets on it.

Lisa’s work uses a flat top grill in the kitchen for the majority of stuff they make and since flat tops are becoming popular, and after seeing how versatile they are, I’m thinking that’s my next portable grill. It would largely eliminate the need for a skillet for some things. So for a handy, portable grill, I think gas is the ticket. At least when you use it as often as I do. At home, my parents have a big 4 burner grill, but most of the time we don’t really need it. My parents split a burger for dinner. I’ll usually eat just one burger at home. No need to fire up the big grill for two burgers, so my portable one gets used. My only requirements for a new grill is I want multiple burners (one burner is tricky for cooking stuff that does better with low or indirect heat) and I would prefer it be USA made.

Few years back Tractor Supply had a sale running on these portable Blackstone grills, gas, half was a traditional grill and half was a flat top. I’m still kicking myself for not getting one. Especially because they don’t make them anymore from my understanding.

If you get one with a frame for the traditional grill feel, make sure you buy one with wheels. I went “cheap” on my Blackstone and pretty much never used it because it was a pain in the ass and didn’t feel like adding wheels so now it’s my brother’s.
I’m looking for either a “table-top” type or something with folding legs. At home it will sit on an old grill stand and out and about it will likely sit on my tailgate. I want portable, something I can easily move around on my own without wheels. If it has a folding stand to it, that’s cool, frees up the tailgate, but it’s not required for me. Somewhat compact is. Right now I’m leaning towards a 2-burner Blackstone. Possibly a 2-burner Camp Chef. Really like the 4-burner Camp Chef, but it’s a little out of my current budget and it’s arguably bigger than I need at nearly 3’ long for a cooking surface. Does have a folding stand and side trays that fold out though.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
235/75/15
Few years back Tractor Supply had a sale running on these portable Blackstone grills, gas, half was a traditional grill and half was a flat top. I’m still kicking myself for not getting one. Especially because they don’t make them anymore from my understanding.
Like this: Amazon.com: Royal Gourmet GD401 Portable Propane Gas Grill and Griddle Combo with Side Table | 4-Burner, Folding Legs,Versatile, Outdoor | Black : Everything Else

You do everything on a flat griddle, everything will taste like McDonalds vs. Burger King ;)

Not sure what size you meant. It wasn't mentioned. It has wheels?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Like this: Amazon.com: Royal Gourmet GD401 Portable Propane Gas Grill and Griddle Combo with Side Table | 4-Burner, Folding Legs,Versatile, Outdoor | Black : Everything Else

You do everything on a flat griddle, everything will taste like McDonalds vs. Burger King ;)

Not sure what size you meant. It wasn't mentioned. It has wheels?
Yeah, like that but a little smaller and made in USA instead of china for that.

My idea with the flat top was that I can do just about anything on it without an accessory like a skillet. I’m not worried about burgers, mine won’t taste anything like McD’s on it, using good burger and some butter sauce they’ll be just fine. I’ve already tested this. Steaks won’t be exactly the same, but I can work around that. Eventually I’ll probably get a nice portable grill too. The nice thing about the flat top is I can do eggs and stuff right on it. So more practical to me especially because I’m intending to get back to doing some camping and stuff so having one portable cooking device without need for accessories like the regular grill and I can make a wider range of food on it seems particularly practical to me.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
235/75/15
Yeah, like that but a little smaller and made in USA instead of china for that.

My idea with the flat top was that I can do just about anything on it without an accessory like a skillet. I’m not worried about burgers, mine won’t taste anything like McD’s on it, using good burger and some butter sauce they’ll be just fine. I’ve already tested this. Steaks won’t be exactly the same, but I can work around that. Eventually I’ll probably get a nice portable grill too. The nice thing about the flat top is I can do eggs and stuff right on it. So more practical to me especially because I’m intending to get back to doing some camping and stuff so having one portable cooking device without need for accessories like the regular grill and I can make a wider range of food on it seems particularly practical to me.
Sounds good. I do eggs, bacon, and cheesesteaks and such on a portable gas grill with a Coleman griddle? I's an older one from the 80's and very basic - non stick with two handles. I basically live on the road so camping is my way of life :)

1689105639097.png

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Back when I was full swing traveling out of town for work, leave the house 4am Monday and get home 2am Saturday. I carried a mess kit with me for the same reasons.

It’s so much cheaper then eating in restaurants three meals.

I got a propane 2 burner Coleman stove, a cooler, tool box with pot and pans and cutlery. Would just go to the grocery store and buy food like I was shopping for the house, whatever I wanted to eat for the week.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Also, I had burger king for dinner, it was gross. Slightly better then the macdoogles i had yesterday.

Only things within walking distance of the Hotel. Had a couple beers when I got back from the site and wasn't worth it to drive down the road to the pizza hut.

I'm starting to remember why I wanted to stop traveling for work.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
235/75/15
Back when I was full swing traveling out of town for work, leave the house 4am Monday and get home 2am Saturday. I carried a mess kit with me for the same reasons.

It’s so much cheaper then eating in restaurants three meals.

I got a propane 2 burner Coleman stove, a cooler, tool box with pot and pans and cutlery. Would just go to the grocery store and buy food like I was shopping for the house, whatever I wanted to eat for the week.
Things haven't changed much over the years. Basically what I do. If I'm not stopping, except to rest between legs, I stop at a Walmart. If they let me spend the night, I buy something. If not, say-a-norra and I find a truck stop. They have the BEST breakfast buffets you'll ever partake in and I'm good until supper time :)

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Things haven't changed much over the years. Basically what I do. If I'm not stopping, except to rest between legs, I stop at a Walmart. If they let me spend the night, I buy something. If not, say-a-norra and I find a truck stop. They have the BEST breakfast buffets you'll ever partake in and I'm good until supper time :)

I don't recall ever seeing a wallyworld with a breakfast buffet, but I also haven't been in one for at least 10 to 15 years.

I try to avoid them merely out of spite for all the damage they have done to small town economies across the country.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals