• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did YOU do today?

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Went down to visit my parents for Easter. their garbage disposal (original to their house ca 2010) had some serious rust in the grinding chamber and was starting to get clogged up pretty easily, so Dad ordered a new replacement from Amazon back in late January. the replacement was basically an exact new version of what was being removed. So we took the old one out, unhooked the plumbing and then let the disposal down to lay on the cabinet floor to easier access the wiring. the original installers run a flexible conduit to the disposal, and we seriously fought that connector for 2 hours. finally got it out with a small pry bar, the little plastic nut that secured it was glued on. Ok now we are rockin' with Dokken. took another 10 minutes just to fish the wires out of the little pannel as the were tucked up under and the actual feed wires were very stiff. got them out, got them unhooked, first thing I noticed was that the feed wires were pretty heavy gauge wire and very stiff. spent litterally 2.5 hours fighting the ground wire to get it bent and to hold in place to tighten the ground screw around it. the wire kept springing out of the way and we had to keep manipulating it and because it was so thick, it barely went around the ground screw. Finally got that all buttoned up, and it took like 2 minutes to reconnect it to the sink and the drain pipe. plumbing was easy-peasy. ran the water in it, no leaks :) filled the sink, drained it, no leaks. Dad went and turned the breaker on and nothing worked. ok... Dad went back to the breaker box and the breaker was tripped. reset the breaker, came back in ran the disposal and it was running great, really quiet. I was just getting ready to gather up tools, towels and bucket and out of the corner of my eye I saw a drip of water. by this time dad turned off the disposal. ran some more water, no leaks. turned the disposal on and saw some drips of water coming from the hole where the conduit went in. Well fawk. looks like the shaft seal of the brand new disposal is junk or not installed correctly. So since the disposal was bought in January, we are past returning it. so it is call Insinkerator for warranty replacement or sink another 100 bucks for a new disposal and have it within a day to fix it...

Good thing I am going back down the following weekend...

AJ
Back down at the parents. Another new disposal and a much more pliable ground wire soldered to the stiff one. About a half hour fighting the wires and plumbing and it works fine, no leaks.

Moved on to better things such as a distillery tour and Bourbon tasting at Buffalo Trace Distillery with my dad and sister. The nation's oldest Distillery, since 1786.

Got a pint of Blantons while there.

AJ

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Like mentioned in the tool thread the wife wanted to revamp the kitchen cabinets so did some stuff there, required some short brad nails for the trim she wants to add so I got a new cordless brad nailer that was conveniently on sale... so far cut like 50 pieces of trim then cut to 45 degrees which on the second angle got complicated and I switched to the benchtop bandsaw since I destroyed 3 pieces...

Also aired up the tires on the F350 and changed the rear axle speed sensor so hopefully the speedo will work reliably... weather has been too crappy to bleed the brakes and clutch, not the best idea to deal with brake fluid in the rain...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Ended up even finishing my part of that project! Turns out I'm no finish carpenter but at least I never claimed to be... :) No pics yet but now there's frames on all the visible cabinet doors (the nails wouldn't stick to the glass doors so I skipped those...). The safety spring deal on the Bauer gun is a bit stiff when pushing on angled stuff so was a touch frustrating... The house is like 105 years old so I couldn't use the level I drug inside, didn't even bother with the square, just trusted that the doors are square...

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Ended up even finishing my part of that project! Turns out I'm no finish carpenter but at least I never claimed to be... :) No pics yet but now there's frames on all the visible cabinet doors (the nails wouldn't stick to the glass doors so I skipped those...). The safety spring deal on the Bauer gun is a bit stiff when pushing on angled stuff so was a touch frustrating... The house is like 105 years old so I couldn't use the level I drug inside, didn't even bother with the square, just trusted that the doors are square...
I'm no finish carpenter either. I'm just happy when the project comes out functional and doesn't look like a bunch of scrap lumber cobbled together.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
When it comes to carpentry...

Do your best... caulk the rest.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Back down at the parents. Another new disposal and a much more pliable ground wire soldered to the stiff one. About a half hour fighting the wires and plumbing and it works fine, no leaks.

Moved on to better things such as a distillery tour and Bourbon tasting at Buffalo Trace Distillery with my dad and sister. The nation's oldest Distillery, since 1786.

Got a pint of Blantons while there.

AJ
No distillery tour, but same motivation here.

IMG_1593.jpeg

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
That whiskey is a funny color and in an odd glass... :)

20240407_103127.jpg

There's a pic of 3 of the doors, including the bottom and tiny ones above the microwave there were 15 doors so 60 pieces of trim... and I think it's poplar since it's light and soft... The handles have been removed for the painting that will happen next weekend...

Oh, and on those 3 doors they didn't used to stay closed on their own so I installed some screws and neodymium magnets glued into the doors, stuff I already had and got stuff off the list

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I gave up trying to make miter cuts on trim years ago. It’s much easier to get everything to line up right when only doing 90*

image.jpg

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
yesterday I did a lot, the wind played hell with the cap windows on the ranger trailer, left side completely ripped off, so earlier in the week I brought home some silicone and I gooped both sides shut then duct taped over the seams. no back door on it now. Did the other wheel well opening on the 09 escape, not sure if I will use the expensive to buy but correct touch up paint or go flat black for cheap. Still waiting on shocks but got the shock tower reinforced for whenever I get them. Painted the spare rim & removed the old spare winch from underneath. Wanted to mow but yard is still way too wet. yeah, my body work needs work but is a improvement over what it was.

IMG_7561.jpeg
IMG_7805.jpeg

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
That whiskey is a funny color and in an odd glass... :)

View attachment 108840

There's a pic of 3 of the doors, including the bottom and tiny ones above the microwave there were 15 doors so 60 pieces of trim... and I think it's poplar since it's light and soft... The handles have been removed for the painting that will happen next weekend...

Oh, and on those 3 doors they didn't used to stay closed on their own so I installed some screws and neodymium magnets glued into the doors, stuff I already had and got stuff off the list
If you haven’t already done it, I highly recommend scrubbing the cabinets down with TSP and let dry completely before painting. Kitchen cabinets end up picking up oil and grease from cooking and then paint doesn’t stick right

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If you haven’t already done it, I highly recommend scrubbing the cabinets down with TSP and let dry completely before painting. Kitchen cabinets end up picking up oil and grease from cooking and then paint doesn’t stick right
I didn't think of TSP at the time, I have some, but the wife scrubbed with Dawn then wiped down with a wet rag, the ones above the stove were gross...

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Worked, ate too much, went to sleep. Ok, that last one hasn't happened yet, but it's about to.

Somewhere in there I also did a few minutes work on the F-100 brakes. I'll post more about that when I get to that point in it's thread. I'd tried using a vacuum bleeder with my old 20 gal compressor previously. It sucked and ended up going old school pedal pump method with assistance. Brakes still weren't good so I waled away for a few months. Today I didn't have assistance, so tried the vacuum bleeder again, this time with the new 60 gal compressor and it worked pretty good. Sucked a lot of air out of the rear brakes and made a big improvement. I'll hit the rears again in a few days and re-do the fronts. Then will drive it over to mom and dad's to swap for the Ranger. Leave the F-100 behind so we can follow up the vacuum bleed with a traditional pump bleed (they just ain't the same) and do a few other odds and ends on it.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
. I'd tried using a vacuum bleeder with my old 20 gal compressor previously. It sucked
Isn’t that the whole idea?!?!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

• ZMan
    Forum Staff Member

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals