• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What is going on? I have tested everything show's okay but still no start?

sexybluelady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994, 199
Make / Model
ford, mitsu, do
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Another good idea I will do that tomorrow. Someone could have put something or something could have gone down my stacks. Man oh man do I hope that is the problem.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'98
'94
'98
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Engine Size
2.5, 2.3 & 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Trying to be a better Christian than non-christians.
Do you have an X style exhaust that collects from your two headers to a single catalytic converter and then splits back to dual stacks? The catalytic converter could be clogged. Try starting the engine , after you disconnect before the cat. You also might disconnect after the cat if you suspect trash clogging the tail pipes.

sexybluelady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994, 199
Make / Model
ford, mitsu, do
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No I'm catless, that was one of the first mods that I did to the truck when I got it about a decade and change ago. I have pace setters to a straight pipe, that goes to a cherry bomb mid muffler, and then that dumps into a res pipe stack. The other stack is just for show, I only have one real working one on the system. It's worth a shot to peek down there and see if something is there. I welded my pipe to my muffler and really do not feel like cutting that off and then re-welding it. Because I'm out of gas right now and changed my welder to run on flux and not MIG.

sexybluelady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994, 199
Make / Model
ford, mitsu, do
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alright update time, I could see nothing in the exhaust pipe. My view is still on the ECU, I know in allot of imports that I would work on funny things would happen with the ecu. Where part of the board would die or only one resistor that controlled all of the fuel maps or get hot and get wacky with sending the correct signal for the ign system etc. I guess I will look for a ECU and give that a go.

Any one have a spare 1st gen ecu that I can borrow to test or buy to use? I've heard that it doesn't matter if it's from a manual or auto trans, that they can be swapped out.

Last edited:

Campbell5149

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
been reading up on this, are you absolutely sure it doesn't have water in the fuel??? take out the fuel pump relay, spray brake clean in the throttle body while someone cranks it and see if it'll run on spray. If you have spark, "fuel", and air, and the timing is correct, it should run......

edit: and if you have injector pulse, and the plugs are wet, obviously the injection system is ok. as well as spark at the plug. should run

sexybluelady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994, 199
Make / Model
ford, mitsu, do
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
already dropped my tank and cleaned it out, put a few bottle of heet in the tank, put in a new fuel filter, already sprayed brake clean in the intake and had my cousin crank it for me. I also already messed with the relay. I had my noid light on as well. This is why it is driving me crazy there is no reason why it should not run at this point.

Campbell5149

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So it didn't run on spray? Are you sure the lifters aren't collapsed? Have you pulled the valve cover and made sure the rockers are moving full stroke?

evanhanginloose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
didnt read all four pages of this forum but from what i read, it sounds like a problem Ive jad with two different late 80s rangers. was getting spark, was getting fuel, everything checked out. ended up being ecu.
did you solve your problem?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Did you get this running? Do you still need an ecu to test? I've come across an ecu that i know works that i would lend you if you need it. Pm me if you do...

SVT

sexybluelady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994, 199
Make / Model
ford, mitsu, do
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That is the conclusion that I have come to is that the ECU is the corporate. I have to get some spare change to pick one up. I am broke as broke gets. I only make about a hundred dollars every two weeks at my work study job :dunno:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals