• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What is this Wire?

GKM007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Finally working on my wire cleanup since completing my duraspark. I am trying to figure out what this wire is for

Best I can figure from the wiring diagram is a knock sensor?

From the spot on the drivers side fender it goes to the block at almost the same level as the plug. Looks to be just above the starter.

Now if it is a knock sensor it it needed after a duraspark?

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You don't mention year or engine, but from info I assume 1984 BII and Yellow/red and Black/white wires match Knock sensor colors on '84 2.8l engine.

It's wires go to computer which would "tell" TFI module to advance spark when knock was detected, you never hear the knock.
Since Duraspark uses vacuum advance, no computer control, then you can hook it up but it won't be able to change the spark timing if engine knocks/pings.

If you leave it unhooked I doubt there would be a problem, outside of just having a wire hanging there, don't see a reason not to plug it in.

If you do get knocking/pinging then you will need to adjust base spark timing manually to prevent it.

Knock sensor allows more aggressive spark timing for all octanes, if knock is detected then spark timing is changed which gives less power but no engine damage/knocking.
2.8l has 8.7:1 compression so shouldn't knock at all, even on regular gas, 87 octane, but it does have a flaw in the head cooling passages which can cause a hot spot, and that can cause the knocking

Last edited:

Mazda0610

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
It is a mpg plug. Plug it in and get 100 mpg. Jk I have no clue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals