• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What is your plug gap and timing?

flaminranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what plug gap do you run? also what timing do you run?
I want to open up the gap on my plugs as far as I can without saturating my coil has anyone tried this? did it help?
I put that weber carb on my truck but it runs a little rich @ idle and I have switched idle jets and tuned it as close as I can get it but it is still rich. I have talked to a few people and they all recommended an aftermarket coil and to open the gap. I also heard you shouldn't do that with the duraspark ignition. Is that true?
thanks
Duane:icon_confused:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Your messing with a sure thing most all duraspark is .44 gap and 10 degrees. Keep the stock TFI coil and adjust the idle air for either the highest rpm or vacuum pressure. Motorcraft plugs are the best but I always use autolite single platinums. Your rich condition is all carb how are you adjusting the idle jets and did you adjust the wet float level to spec. You need to get the wet float level correct or whatever you do means nothing.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
The article I just read says to raise the idle rpm to about 950 rpm and turn your idle screws out for the highest rpm keep lowering the idle speed to 950 until it dont move when you open the idle screws then in 1/4 turns in screw the idle screws together until the rpm drops about 25 rpm. Then set your idle speed where you want it.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I have not done it that way on my 2.8 but sounds like a good adjustment get the engine up to temp first. Preset the idle air at 1 1/2 turns out from lightly seated poaition and use that formula.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
My bad the 2.0 timing is 6 dbtdc.

flaminranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't have tfi and I adjusted the carb for max rpm with the idle mixture and the idle speed screw turned out 2 1/4 turns just like the directions say. but it still runs rich. I have tried different idle jets and turning the screw leaner but it still runs rich also the float level is within spec. which I have explained to a bunch of people and that is why they said try more spark or more spark advance.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry is the coil round or square you can use a square tfi coil but wouldn`t mess with the gap just use a coil that runs on batt voltage with motorcraft plugs or autolite platinum. It sounds like carb or vacuum to me if the timing is correct and you have good spark. Check the vacuum pressure and what size is the carb in cfm.

flaminranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the carb is a 32/36 dgav and it is for this application and they don't rate them in cfm(I don't know why it seems dumb to me)but the openings measure smaller than the stock 2 barrel.
I picked up quite a bit of power all around by switching carbs but I am tired of trying to get it right
yes the coil is round and I would like to upgrade it if I can. but I heard it can wipe out the duraspark box on some fords.(could be different resistance)
this would allow me to open the spark gap which I would rather do than advance my timing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals