• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What kind of connector?

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What connector is on the head unit going to the antenna? Appears to be coaxial... I can't find one anywhere (assuming cuz I dono what it is called). Tryin to repair it so I can have radio when I throw this head unit into the truck.

I need the proper name so I can order one up. Thanks, I'm sooo having a "special" moment right now. Motorola female??? Where can I find it? The shack isn't helping any.

Last edited:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Radio Shack Sells a plastic bodied replacement plug to repair dammaged antenna leads such as yours.

but there is a somewhat more elegant approach (probably "turd polishing" but I've gotta mention it)

The plug at the end of the 93Ohm Coaxial cable for the antenna on most automobiles
is called a "motorola plug"

the cable itself is dimensionally similar to RG59(CATV coax) or "Mini-8" cable
(loved by CB'ers) so you can get a "BNC" connector for the cable.

THEN you can get a BNC to Motorola adapter to connect to the radio.

There is a dual standard plug adapter that can be used like an RCA plug (Stereo)
with an overlong center pin on the inside of the plug and the outside diameter is
such that it also functions as a Motorola male by the outside diameter of the body.

I don't recall the exact Radio shack P/N, but some searching their web site should turn it up.

AD

Last edited:

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I ended up finding what I needed at the shack... ran into one little dilemma that is now going to set me back, time for a new head unit. They sure as heck don't make them as good as they used to these days... the current line up for 2010 ALL radios on display looks and feels low quality.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yep, I got my new Pioneer yesterday and looking it over, it does have a cheapened feel to it. But I'm still gonna give it a try anyway. I picked up a DEH-2200UB from Crutchfield (I know, that is a dirty word around here, but the price they had was within $5 of the same thing through Amazon and they threw in a mounting kit and wiring harness, plus I couldn't find that radio locally - well, Best Try might have had it, but after being raped by them on two extended warranties I paid for, I'll never go back.)

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Best Buy literally destroyed the interior of my last car and broke my passenger mirror. Every time it rained, it'd pour into the car. The tarp inside the door panel was peeled off, and he mounted the speakers straight to the sheet metal. I TOLD them they had to use this kit or they'd be replacing my whole interior... they NEVER listened. Goon Squad thinks they know everything.

Best part is, they broke the shit and NEVER told me, they tried to hide it all. It ended costing them well over a grand.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals