• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What the end of the Ford Ranger says about working in America

sblake01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Last edited:

shovelmike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That's a good article, and sums it up pretty well. As citizens with much at stake we must demand that government at all levels be reduced in size and scope. We must take our freedoms back, get back to strong individual responsibility and no expect government to step in with a solution to every woe.

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Somebody should buy the production rights for the Ranger from Ford and build it in a small company dedicated to strictly Rangers. I think Ford is rather stupid for discontinuing one of the best pickups ever made.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
they would never sell it....i would kill them with a diesel ranger that turned 15's and got 35 mpg...

after we cut up the epa into a rational entity first of course....

and let teenagers work on farms....ya know sensible shit like that...:dunno:

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
We all love our Rangers because we are enthusiasts but we are a very small minority. Here in the northwest, Crew cab Tacomas, Frontiers and Colorados outnumber Rangers by probably 10 to 1. I think Ford is really missing the boat by not offering a crewcab Ranger in the states. I have seen sales of the Ranger dwindle to almost nothing at my dealership over the last few years or so. I can't even remember the last time I worked on a Ranger here. It's probably been weeks. We just don't sell 'em anymore. 99.9% of the population won't even notice it's gone. Very sad that they made no attempt to save it. 4 real doors are what most people with families want these days.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
That was my major reason for switching to an explorer. I could rebuild my tranny, or junk it and buy a 118k mile explorer for 2200. I have one son and a daughter on the way. I love the ranger and don't like the other small pickups. It's simple and gets the job done. A switch to explorer was a necessity in my case.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
We all love our Rangers because we are enthusiasts but we are a very small minority. Here in the northwest, Crew cab Tacomas, Frontiers and Colorados outnumber Rangers by probably 10 to 1. I think Ford is really missing the boat by not offering a crewcab Ranger in the states. I have seen sales of the Ranger dwindle to almost nothing at my dealership over the last few years or so. I can't even remember the last time I worked on a Ranger here. It's probably been weeks. We just don't sell 'em anymore. 99.9% of the population won't even notice it's gone. Very sad that they made no attempt to save it. 4 real doors are what most people with families want these days.
Compact trucks are a minority around here, and by far and way most are standard or extended cab.

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Compact trucks are a minority around here, and by far and way most are standard or extended cab.
Funny how different regions have different wants and needs. You can't go anywhere around here without seeing a small crewcab or two at every intersection.

Riq21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Was bound to happen sooner or later. Cost crept too close to the F150...

MarkI

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
One of the most affordable compact pickups on the market is Ford Ranger. This is the reason why Ford fans are angry about the end of the Ford Ranger. The business is still taking stick over it from consumers. Nissan Motors, however, hopes to woo them over to the Nissan Frontier pickup, which the company wants to start selling to even more light pickup fans. I found this here: Nissan woos disgruntled Ford enthusiasts with Frontier pickup.

DoctorPhate

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
See now up around here(ottawa Canada) there are very few pick ups at all. Most people are driving 40-50k+ Sedans or SUVs but thats because over half the population of this city is employed by our Federal government and they severely over pay(Example: Secretaries make 40k to start)

The few trucks you see in town are half ton trucks, however once you get outside of town into Osgoode, Kemptville, stittsville, merrickville, etc you see quite a few pick ups and I would say the majority are ford rangers.

Here in Canada we pay DOUBLE what you pay for gas so for many people who need to haul around stuff we simply cant afford the insurance, car payment AND gas of the F150.

Highest selling vehicle in Canada for a few years now has been the Honda Civic, I like to think its because of gas prices. I prefer to buy domestic when possible.

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ford would have done pretty good with a whole new engine lineup and a bit of an update to the truck. I mean, 2.0 ecoboost or even the 3.7, new 6 speed transmission, they could have easily brought the fuel mileage up and set the bar in the small truck market.

BUT... they felt the F150 with the 3.7 is the ranger alternative, and somehow the Fiesta too.

DoctorPhate

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
It certainly isn't in the same price range. Even a BASIC F150 you're looking at 25 grand where as my step father just bought a brand new Ranger 6 months ago fully loaded with every option for 19grand during employee pricing.

The basic ranger was selling for like 14,500 if you wanted 4cyl, manual, no options.

And the cheapest F150 on the lot at the local dealership right now is a 2012 for 39k not very economical.

Edit: I found this one outside town.. http://inventory.kanataford.com/new/vehicle/2012-ford-f-150-id128971.htm Still 22k for something that is overkill for most people around here.

Last edited:

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It certainly isn't in the same price range. Even a BASIC F150 you're looking at 25 grand where as my step father just bought a brand new Ranger 6 months ago fully loaded with every option for 19grand during employee pricing.

The basic ranger was selling for like 14,500 if you wanted 4cyl, manual, no options.

And the cheapest F150 on the lot at the local dealership right now is a 2012 for 39k not very economical.
It is if you actually utilize it. Most people use them as grocery getters... because it is "hip" to have a truck, remember? :icon_thumby:

Shoot, I almost bought a new F150 with that sticker price. I decided against it... and after seeing the 2013 Mustang, I might be getting the new pony!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals