• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What the heck is going on here? Clunk when braking (video).

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
I believe they're correct for my 98 and up to 04 or 06. Can't verify beyond that. May have been a change to some M14 but the nomenclature on these thing are ridiculous. The caliper mounting bolts for the slide pins are tiny. Some pics of spares for my 98 that I have in the garage

20231224_121905.jpg20231224_121852.jpg

Danno1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
I'm seeing
May have been a change to some M14 but the nomenclature on these thing are ridiculous.
Right? It would be nice if Ford-parts listed the actual specs on their page so I could be sure, but god forbid I buy one bolt from somewhere else instead of paying $68 for a 4-pack from Ford.
I believe they're correct for my 98 and up to 04 or 06. Can't verify beyond that. May have been a change to some M14 but the nomenclature on these thing are ridiculous. The caliper mounting bolts for the slide pins are tiny. Some pics of spares for my 98 that I have in the garage

View attachment 103516View attachment 103515
It looks like the spindles are compatible across those years, so I have to imagine the bolt fits and whatever info the auto parts sites have that shows “does not fit” for my 2011 is an error, but I won’t be able to find out until Tuesday when I’m able to work on the truck. I picked up the Dorman bolts and have a guaranteed correct one expedited from Tasca, so either way hopefully I’m covered.

Anyone know the torque specs? 85-100? I’m going to comb through every bolt the shop could’ve touched while changing the rotors since my guess is the ones on the driver’s side probably weren’t torqued properly either.

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
I usually go about 90 but I think the spec is 80 to 85 for my 98. Should be the same for you.

Quick look and 85 seems like the consensus. Don't think 90 would hurt anything. Use some medium locktite.

Danno1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
Thanks so much for the help, guys, and Merry Christmas if you celebrate. Always appreciate the prompt and helpful advice I get here, it's still one of the good forums. 🙏🏼

I've got a little more downtime than usual the next couple weeks, so I decided to give myself the gift of spending some DIY time refreshing the front suspension in addition to fixing the caliper bracket.

Found a nice little puddle under the front right shock, and both fail the bounce test miserably after around 15K (maybe OEM shocks aren't what they used to be), so I ordered some new Gabriel Ultra Trucks on sale at RockAuto. Hope they hold up ok. I've had Bilsteins blow out on my old Yota pickup after only 10K, so I've kinda just decided our horrible roads are capable of killing just about anything prematurely. The swaybar bushings look pretty compressed and are definitely creaking, so I'm putting some new Moog ones in as well. We'll start there and see how it goes. Truck hasn't seen any salt and is in really great shape cosmetically, so it'll be nice to have it feeling nice and tight again too.

Danno1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
Update: the bolt was the correct one; the package even said "Caliper Bracket Bolt" on it. Silly Advance Auto site. Used some red loctite, torqued to 85lb/ft, then went through all the other caliper bracket bolts. Sure enough, the ones on the driver's side were barely more than hand-tightened. Seems like whoever was responsible for this job just tightened them all "snug" and never got around to torquing them down. It didn't seem like there was any evidence of thread lock, either. Really disappointing. I've always had good luck with this shop in the past, but may need to find a new one. I did send the owner a message with the photos of the missing bolt in the hopes that he'll use it as a learning opportunity about the dangers of putting quick turnaround over everything else.

While I was down there, I replace the swaybar bushings with some new Moog parts. Whoa. Can't believe what a difference that 10 minute job made on the ride quality and handling. Under all the gunk of layers of fluid film and grease, the old ones were white and hollow inside - that can't be OEM, right? They were really squishy and compressed. Seriously, it's a night-and-day difference. Next up will be end links and bushings. I'm actually feeling like the shocks may be ok after all.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Well, with red, they definitely won't come loose unless you have a fire wrench or a big breaker bar... Usually blue is used on stuff like that since sooner or later you are going to want the bracket to come back off for a rotor change. What's done is done.

I'm glad you found the issue and was able to correct it without there being a lot of damage.

As far as the bushings, if they are the ones that hold the bar to the frame, they should be pretty stiff and not hollow. They should have some give but not a ton. The stiffer the material is, the harder they are to remove and install.

Danno1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
Well, with red, they definitely won't come loose unless you have a fire wrench or a big breaker bar... Usually blue is used on stuff like that since sooner or later you are going to want the bracket to come back off for a rotor change. What's done is done.

I'm glad you found the issue and was able to correct it without there being a lot of damage.

As far as the bushings, if they are the ones that hold the bar to the frame, they should be pretty stiff and not hollow. They should have some give but not a ton. The stiffer the material is, the harder they are to remove and install.
Ah well. Noted for next time on the blue thread lock thing. A previous poster said blue as well but when I was in autozone today I just grabbed the red one without thinking. At the end of the day I’d rather bust out a breaker bar than have one fall out on the freeway, though.

Yeah, I can’t imagine the oem bar bushings would’ve been white, so those must’ve been changed at some point by the previous owner. The new ones were a pain to get on, old ones almost fell off.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Yeah, I can’t imagine the oem bar bushings would’ve been white, so those must’ve been changed at some point by the previous owner. The new ones were a pain to get on, old ones almost fell off.
Yep, they are a real pain to install.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Glad to hear you solved it.

Danno1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I gotta say; you did real good.

First recognizing that something was failing; then having the good sense in finding the issue; and finally by assessing what was needed, and fixing it correctly.

Good job!

Salut! :icon_thumby: :beer:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals