• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

what tool do I need now?..

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
OOOk, so..my truck has found another way to annoy the crap outta me. What I need is for someone to inform me as to how to get this..(problem is circled in green obviously enough)

unclamped..preferrably in a much more efficient way then I have come up with on my own :)temper:). anythoughts on this would be VERY much appreciated. oh and btw the truck is a 93 4.0 4wd and the line is the A/C line coming from the condenser coils that are behind the radiator, just in case you couldn't see that with my lack of picture taking skills. Thanks muchly in advance.

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
k, anybody have a used set I could buy off em or even just borrow for a couple weeks?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
The cheap plastic ones work fine, and you can get a set for under 10 bucks, at any parts store. It's called a "spring-lock coupling tool".

BTW; be sure that the AC system is empty before you open a coupling (if not, at the least, you'll need to change your drawers).

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The cheap plastic ones work fine, and you can get a set for under 10 bucks, at any parts store. It's called a "spring-lock coupling tool".

BTW; be sure that the AC system is empty before you open a coupling (if not, at the least, you'll need to change your drawers).
oh really? wow, k thanks a lot. I should be able to handle that. Hopefully NAPA will have some monday.

and yes haha, its empty...really empty:annoyed:

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I cannot open your link. The tool should have a long side that protrudes out the center. Inside the large connector in your pix there is a spring around the circumference. This spring fits over a ridge in the pipe holding it in place. The tool you are using slides up inside the large connector spreading the spring away from the ridge. The pipe is then free to slide out.

Before using the tool, the spring in the large connector gets clogged with dirt. Blow it out with compressed air, or brake cleaner, or whatever you have. Then twist the two pipes in opposite directions. This will break the pipes loose. Now insert the long side of the tool into the connector and push it in. Once it is inside with the spring spread, pull hard on the two lines. They will come apart.:)shady

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Excellent description, shady, for both using the tool, and the tips to loosen the spring beforehand.

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I cannot open your link.
try it now, I don't know what the heck happened to it.

But anyway, yea it does have a tapered protrusion..do I need a hammer or something to pound it underneath the spring? Yesterday I took some Liquid Wrench (its all I had) to the couplings and its sat overnight, and this morning before I gotta go out I'll put some more on..and your saying this tapered end will spread the spring out and over that lip in the hosing and it should just slide out?

THAT sounds like quick disconnect my friend, lol. Hopefully it works, thank ya muchly.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
It's a very quick disconnect, unless the spring has boggers all over it. I've never been much for the plastic tools, I picked up the steel 4 in 1 tool for both fuel lines and the ac lines. If it still won't come free? Might want to push the tool 'in' to the connector while slowly twisting it carefully. One side of the spring might be getting bunged up and not allowing the tool's tapered end to 'lift' it from the lip.

S-

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
try it now, I don't know what the heck happened to it.

But anyway, yea it does have a tapered protrusion..do I need a hammer or something to pound it underneath the spring? Yesterday I took some Liquid Wrench (its all I had) to the couplings and its sat overnight, and this morning before I gotta go out I'll put some more on..and your saying this tapered end will spread the spring out and over that lip in the hosing and it should just slide out?

THAT sounds like quick disconnect my friend, lol. Hopefully it works, thank ya muchly.
I don't really like that type tool, but hopefully it will work fine. Make sure you have selected the correct size for the pipe. And yes, you may need to gently twist the tool as you slide it in. No hammers as you don't want to damage the spring. It will go in if it is clean, and you have a little patience.

Tools for these things are different. Some have the part that slides under the spring longer than others. The longer ones are best.:)shady

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it worked EXCELLENTLY! I think it was more of the day and a half worth of liquid wrench though, but yes it worked exactly like it was supposed to then. Thanks a bunch guys, I got all three that I needed to within a half hour.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals