• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

? What Vacuum is this ? ('88 2.3L)

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Doing a Mustang Intake swap on my '88 Ranger 2.3L with the relocated Idle Air Control Valve. While doing so I pulled these 2 little vacuum switched solenoid things loose from my inner fender. They were held in place with a dry rotted rubber mount. The 2 vacuum lines (Red & Green) are harnessed with a 3rd vacuum line (black) which is on the top of the air filter box. They all run from the top of the OLD intake.
Since I've not completed extending my Idle Air Control Valve wiring I'm not sure if the truck will run without these Solenoids connected. I was hoping they were just some Cruise Control switches or something un-important.
Can I proceed without these for the time being ?
Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
IDK why one would go to the filter box, but I'm fairly sure one of them goes to the EGR valve.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The first one is for the EGR valve, red valve to the intake, green to the EGR valve if IIRC.

The ones on top of the air box, well I never did really figure out what those were for. It will run without them.

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The first one is for the EGR valve, red valve to the intake, green to the EGR valve if IIRC.

The ones on top of the air box, well I never did really figure out what those were for. It will run without them.
LOL... :icon_thumby:
Thanks guys, I've had multiple people say they are the EGR switches. I just can't figure out why mine has two and later models have one.

zekew64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4, rebuilt from a '91
Transmission
Manual
adsm08 is actually wrong. The vacuum lines that run to the EGR are for controlling the EGR when the truck is cold vs. hot. Once the truck warms up, the O2 sensor sends a signal to the vacuum solenoid that the red and green lines hook into; that solenoid opens up the vacuum switch, which in turn opens up the EGR valve to let in warm exhaust gas to be reburned.

While the truck will run with those vacuum solenoids disconnected, you might actually get worse gas mileage if they are left disconnected. Also, the vacuum lines on top of the airbox are for the same thing, only there is a heat-activated switch that stays closed while the truck warms up, then opens to let in cool air into the air box. This is to allow a more uniform air temprature of the air going into the intake. The MAF sensor monitors this, as cold air is more dense, and thus, flows slower.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I am thinking the vacuum line that goes to the air filter box is just for the egr relief vent? When the computer tells the egr to close it pulls filtered air through the egr solenoid. The newer EVRs have the filter built right into it. It keeps the solenoid from plugging up.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I am looking at the vacuum diagram for a 88 2.3 and it shows two egr solenoids a map the fuel pressure regulator and the preheater door. The preheater duct from the exhaust manifold to the air box has a vacuum motor and the vacuum goes through a bimetal valve. Just cap the vacuum to the filter box at the manifold tree it probably dont work anyways. Your radiator support has a vacuum diagram on it or should. Mine is a late 83 model but has the vacuum diagram for the 1984 model so look at the diagram under the hood to confirm your vacuum system. The 89 had only one egr solenoid

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals