• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

what would happen

high_tech_redneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if i disconected my front sway bar on my 1999 ranger would it make it a softer ride because its a rough ride up front and it sucks

Nothing Old

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
It will make it softer, but be careful at high speed...

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Not neccessarily softer, It will allow more body roll. The sway bar doesnt really affect up and down motion and it only mildy affectsw side to side. It really prevents the body fro0m rolling to one side or the other. If you take it off it will alow more body roll in the front end. and If the front and rear ends are mismatched from the swaybar standpoint. It will seriosuly affect drivability. Ie more turn in or less turn in, (oversteer or understeer). You will most likely experience more oversteer without the front swaybar. And will feel slightly more unstable.

Viva*the*Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I don't think it would be any softer, just kinda squirrelly going down the highway.

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
don't take it off i. don't have my rear sway bar on my truck since i swapped in the explorer axle and i miss it but i have learned to adapt to not having it but it would be terrible with out the front sway bar

high_tech_redneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks guys im also looking to get a skid plate in the front because this wyoming terrain really beats up my front end and ive came close to destroying my cooling system what do you recomend

colinrmitchell

Feels good, man.
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
I took the sway bar off of the front of my 2WD Ranger.

It definitely "rocked the boat" if you were turning the wheel at a stop. It does lean some during turns, but unless you think you're driving a Formula 1, I don't see a problem.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
+10 on the skid plate, but I wouldnt buy one. See if you can find a friend or someone near you to fab one. Build it the way you want. Jim has a bumper for sale with a skid plate built in I think, But I dont know if it will fit your model truck. I would keep tools handy, you cna remove the sway bar when off roading for more flex, but like I said above, for hte street leave it where it is.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
my 90 has no sway bars and it feels like im driving my 14' shallow bottom boat. in contrast my 94 has only a front sway bar and i have way more confidence when turning at higher speeds, but it all comes down to what you want out of the truck.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
for off road, not a problem. for pavement that is wet or slippery, get used to looking at where you just were, but thru the windshield instead of the mirrors.

Slim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 + 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
lol Some of you guys are funny. Whatever would you do if anti-sway bars were never created?!?!??! :icon_surprised:

OP - it'll roll more through the corners and be more unstable at higher speeds, BUT you will notice smoother suspension operation when only one wheel is being affected by a bump (because you are disconnecting each side's wheel movement form the other).

I say try it and see for yourself, BUT drive carefully at first. Don't just hop in and give 'er hell - that's a sure way to end up like pjtoledo said. Start slow, see how it feels, then work your way up until you feel comfortable enough to try some evasive maneuvers and see what happens (do this in a big EMPTY parking lot please!). If you use your head and drive for the conditions (the weather, the vehicle and your own capabilities) then you'll be fine.

It's really easy to disconnect, try for a weekend, then put it back if you don't like it.

MUDDING B-3000

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 , 1992
Make / Model
Ford , Ford
Engine Size
7.3L , 4L
Transmission
Manual
ya when i bought my 94 mazda it didnt have swap bars front or back on it so ya lol. honestly i like it for wheeling but it makes the truck really unstable on the highway an sharp cornering.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
lol Some of you guys are funny. Whatever would you do if anti-sway bars were never created?!?!??! :icon_surprised:
We don't have to worry about this, they WERE created and now we have options to talk about. :icon_thumby:

And from what I see on this site and others IF they were never created, we would have created them.:icon_thumby::icon_thumby:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I pulled my front bar off and didn't notice a difference... and I drive like my truck is a formula 1 like stated above... personal preference...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals