• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Where do you get your trailer hitch stuff? also which kind of pintle is better?

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I seem to be "loaning" a lot of hitches lately....had to give away my pintle hitch to the guy I sold the trailer to, so he could tow it away.

Broke out my spare connector but the 2-5/16" ball shank is too big for it. It only takes the 2".

So now I need a pintle hitch and a regular ball connector, maybe one of those adjustable types.

Went to HF and everything was either expensive and complicated, or sold out.... and no pintles at all.

Looking online showed autozone/oreillys carries em, but not sure if the ones around here do....

Should I just find a local trailer supply store? The only one nearby I knew of is an electric gate supply now.

Also what kind of pintle hitch is better, the hook kind or the ball that has the locking device on top? My old one was a hook style.

I do need a 2-5/16" connector and pintle...so if the ball kind is fine, it would do both in one. Max I would tow is probably around 7500lbs.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
i get normal tow balls and the bar from walmart but i had to get my last pintle from harbor freight, and those suckers are not cheap. i almost gave it to a buddy but i remembered how expensive it was and just kept it on the shelf in the garage.

nothing on ebay or marketplace for pintle hitches?

oh yeah, i use the old school pintle with the hook, not the ball type. i suppose either is fine but we used the hook type in the army and never had trouble towing a 5k gallon water trailer around on my hmmv so i figure its fine for civilian life

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I don't like the slop and banging of a pintle and lunette ring system but they are easier to work with than a ball and coupler.

If you need something with the flex and durability of a pintle and lunette and are locked into it with what you have now, check out the Lock N Roll. https://locknroll.com

The system is expensive but it gives you the weight capacity and durability of the pintle lunette without the bang and rattle and eliminates the potential binding issue one can have with the pintle and lunette ring.

If everything you do is on road, then the ball a coupler is really all you need. I have the Lock N Roll on my utility trailer because I do take it off road on occasion and the ball and coupler just doesn't have the articulation and could pop off if the angle gets too severe.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I don't like the slop and banging of a pintle and lunette ring system but they are easier to work with than a ball and coupler.

If you need something with the flex and durability of a pintle and lunette and are locked into it with what you have now, check out the Lock N Roll. https://locknroll.com

The system is expensive but it gives you the weight capacity and durability of the pintle lunette without the bang and rattle and eliminates the potential binding issue one can have with the pintle and lunette ring.

If everything you do is on road, then the ball a coupler is really all you need. I have the Lock N Roll on my utility trailer because I do take it off road on occasion and the ball and coupler just doesn't have the articulation and could pop off if the angle gets too severe.
My 18ft brimar had a pintle on it. I changed it first thing i couldnt stand it.

I just buy my shit from TSC, harbor freight, or at surplus type stores.

I wouldnt buy anything like that off crapazon or something though

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo

That's what I was worried about. Not for off road, but plenty of gnarly approaches/ driveway angles etc...The roads around here are pretty terrible too. Lunette is the word I was looking for...

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
My 18ft brimar had a pintle on it. I changed it first thing i couldnt stand it.

I just buy my shit from TSC, harbor freight, or at surplus type stores.

I wouldnt buy anything like that off crapazon or something though
Yea Im trying to avoid crapazon or fleabay. My HF was slim pickings. I dont think there is a TSC near me. The surplus stores around here mostly cater to hipsters and have mall retail store items and prices. I'm gonna check the big box auto parts stores next run. Maybe even the orange big box store I hate going to.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've bought two hitch receivers and some trailer parts through etrailer.com

Actual hitches, balls, and other towing stuff has typically come from local box stores or dads pile of spares.

If I didn't have a local store to buy, I'd probably go through trailer, or the their part numbers to Amazon/eBay for better prices on quality parts.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Do you have a Northern Tool around you? I've seen some of them by LA before, it's been like 8 years since I went in one though... Haven't checked their website if they have anything...

If you want a pintle the one to go for would be one with the 2" ball and the clip that goes over it. That's not the type I have for my F350 but I've been wanting one just not wanting to spend the $$

I only have one trailer with a pintle hitch and it's big and long and behind a big diesel truck so it doesn't do anything too bad... it does wiggle around a bit though.

Most of my hitch stuff is either garage sale or auction... I do have a couple of the harbor freight adjustable hitches though, they're handy for the Explorers with random trailers...

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I've bought two hitch receivers and some trailer parts through etrailer.com

Actual hitches, balls, and other towing stuff has typically come from local box stores or dads pile of spares.

If I didn't have a local store to buy, I'd probably go through trailer, or the their part numbers to Amazon/eBay for better prices on quality parts.
etrailer is a good source if you have nothing local. A few of my trailer parts have come from them. Good parts if you don't mind dealing with the shipping.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
We have a couple very good trailer hitch places in the area, and I would expect you would have at least one in your area too. That is where I suggest you go, although etrailer seems to be a decent choice as well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals