• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Where is my coolant temperature sensor?

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have removed anything that could have been a coolant temperature sensor from my intake manifold and head. I do not see one on or around the water pump. Strangely enough though, my coolant temperature gauge still works. Is there a sensor somewhere on the block? I can't imagine where else they could have hidden it. I feel pretty stupid, but I can't seem to find this thing. I would much appreciate if anyone could identify to me all the possible locations of a coolant temperature sensor on my motor. Thanks in advance guys.

For anyone interested, I took an extended test drive today with the coolant line from the manifold to the heater core blocked at the manifold. According to my coolant gauge that seems to work by magic, the coolant reached operating temperature reasonably quick and stayed there. I ran it pretty hard and never saw any signs of overheating. My own experiences along with what I have read of other's are enough to convince me that it is okay to run the engine without that coolant line. I know this is fairly established and I am repeating things that have been said already, but I am one of those that trusts what I see and do over what I read. Nonetheless, do so at your own risk. I still can not say with any certainty that running without coolant flow in the manifold has not, or will not cause something like a hot spot in a water jacket that would lead to a cracked head. I fully intend to find out what happens over time though.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
the gauge sensor is above and just behind the oil filter if I remember right.

the coolant is running in the manifold to heat the intake manifold up to aid in fuel vaporization. Other than that the coolant needs to bypass the thermostat a little so a little bit is flowing at all times, I am not too up on coolant systems, and my engine (turbo with water cooled turbo and oil cooler) has a crap load of hoses going all over, never bothered to make sense of it before I put the engine in... I could figure out a GM 4.3L or 5.7L as I work on them daily but some systems confuse me...

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the coolant needs to bypass the thermostat a little so a little bit is flowing at all times
Thanks, I'll check on the location of the sensor next time I drive the truck. Not that it matters since it is working at the moment, but I am curious. That is a good point about bypassing the thermostat when it is closed. It might be wise to drill a little hole in the stat if it doesn't have one already. I had considered replacing the stat with a restrictor, but never decided to bother with it.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Normally there is a bypass from the intake manifold back to the intake part of the water pump. The heater core is not necessary for the engine to run properly it make it nice if it is cold out.

ltbenji

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I guess my question is why do you want to remove the sending unit?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals