• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Which pistons would YOU buy?

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have to get new pistons for my 2.3L. I'm changing to n/a from turbo.
I've gone on Ebay and notice some big differences in price. I know Esslinger and others offer forged. There's also hyperuetectic (sp?) and cast.

I'll be using the engine to pull my 1,000 lb. camper when I leave the rat race a few times a year. Other than that, I'm fairly easy on my engines- just normal street driving. My work is only 5 miles from home.
That pretty much describes my driving habits.
I can afford the forged pistons but don't want to waste money.
I'll try to get away without having any machine work if I can. Just changing rings and bearings other than pistons.
Any thoughts on this are welcome. Thanks -Mike

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I would get the forged ones. I'm sure that after you drive around n/a for a few days you'll want to put the turbo back on, boost is like crack.

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Fortunately, I've never had that crack (or the other), so I won't know what I'm missing. In fact, this 2.3L will have almost twice the power of what I have now so it'll be almost like crack to me.
Do you think the forged ones are worth the price difference for my kind of driving.
Are there any preferred vendors that folks here like to buy from?

beluga420

March 2013 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
2012 Truck of The Year
2013 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3t
Transmission
Manual
So you're going to turbo FROM n/a? If you're going to be rebuilding the engine and going turbo, don't even waste your time on hypereutetic or cast pistons, go with forged ones.

It all depends on how much boost you will be running, if you want to run more than 6 lbs and be safe go with forged... If you want just get the TC ones, you can find some good used set for 50$ and you already have forged rods so thats ok.

If you never did crack(one or another lol) you may have heard that it's gets highly addictive and that you WILL always want more... LMAO. I'm talking turbo here ahah. You will always end up wanting more boost. So I highly recommend to go forged.

Keith black, diamond pistons and cp does quality piston for the 2.3 engines, but they run in beetween 300-500 $ usually for a set.

John Smith

Reaction score
For a n/a motor

Keith Black hypo..etc...they do a good job and are reasonable for flat top pistons.

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
beluga420- I'm going the other way. I'm going TO n/a.

My project truck is a 1971 VW. I may be able to fit it in n/a style without cutting my bed.
I know squat about turbo's and didn't want to have wire the EFI in the old VW .

That said, if anyone wants a set of turbo pistons shoot me a PM.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals