• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Why does Microsoft suck so bad?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Yup
Microsoft and Apple
Current leaders in keeping Stockholm syndrome alive

"Just keep upgrading, we will get it right eventually"
Apple, at least their phones and tablets, seem to be pretty decent. I can't afford the prices they are charging for their products. So, Linux it is. Either in OpenSuse format for computers or Android for phones and tablets.

I keep one beater Microsloth Windblows computer for devices I can't update with Linux.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Check this out, I found in an old laptop yesterday, might just frame it somehow, or give it to somebody hard up and tell em how to do a top notch Ebay auction
DSCF6034.JPG

Attachments

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15
Museum pieces

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
My first was a 386

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I
My first was a 386
The first one I owned was a Tandy 1000 with a 286. The hard drive was on a card and I think it was 40 MB. I don't remember how much RAM was in it but I'm sure it was in the Kilobytes.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I spent a lot of time on a Franklin (Apple clone) as a kid before we got a 386.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I didn't get near buying one till after Y2K, then I got a Goodwill special for $150, took it home and plugged it up and looked at it.
Then I went back to Goodwill and asked what good could it be, he said Wellll, you could listen to CDs if you had a CD player and some speakers/ Sooo, I got a CD player and some cheap speakers and sat there listening to CDs a bit and went back to Goodwill, That's one very expensive CD player! He said well, you could get online if you had a modem, soooo, I went and bought a modem(Each of these items was another $50 pop).
Sooo, I got online via America Online and a dial-up connection and sat there watching(actually Reading news stories) and now I'm thinking I saw way too much of that on TV.
I was thinking it best to return this expensive radio and forget about it, then I saw something else, it said "Meet People!"
Before I know it I'm lost in another world, I'm on dial-up to a local number and I'm thinking all these people live there too, then some guy asks me where I'm from and I said Tennessee, he said "where the hell is Tennessee?, I said Nashville, He was in the Australian outback but had heard of Nashville, I was blowed away with that.
My first New Years I followed it all the way around starting in New Zealand I believe

I still wound up taking that computer back when I saw a diagram of a disk that was full,it was a 512 MB, I bought a new Compaq

And the first time I saw that warning, "This computer has performed an illegal function and will be shut down"
I unplugged everything, turned off all the lights and waited for the FBI :D

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15
my first was an Atari, quickly followed by a commodore 64

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I remember them guys in Radio Shack playing around with them.
I remember one saying "I'm gonna make mine into a clock".
I'm thinking like,"you can buy a clock for 5 bucks" :D

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The early computers before the Tandy 2000, you couldn't do a lot with them. You could learn to write basic programs and few other things but that was about it. At least that was my experience with the Apple IIe, TRS 80, and an Atari computer. None of those were mine but they were interesting for starting to learn things on.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I remember them guys in Radio Shack playing around with them.
I remember one saying "I'm gonna make mine into a clock".
I'm thinking like,"you can buy a clock for 5 bucks" :D
The early computers before the Tandy 2000, you couldn't do a lot with them. You could learn to write basic programs and few other things but that was about it. At least that was my experience with the Apple IIe, TRS 80, and an Atari computer. None of those were mine but they were interesting for starting to learn things on.
That is the exact issue. The early computers weren't powerful by today's standards. But, we didn't have today's standards back then. The whole industry was in its infancy. Those computers worked and they were useful for learning. They also sparked the imaginations for later generations. And, that's how computers grew to what they are now.

Sure. You could buy a clock for $5. But you didn't learn anything except what time it is. With the computer, you learned how to program a computer to become a clock. In many instances, people were building their computers and learning electronics and learning how the different parts of the computer interface with each other. The first home computer I ever saw was one that the man built himself and programmed it to play chess. I was in 9th grade. I didn't understand. It was cool. But I didn't see the point, especially since I'm not a good chess player and I didn't know what else it could do.

I can jump on my motorcycle and ride to Land Between The Lakes in less than 7 hours and I'll be there. Or, I could take back roads, stop at interesting places along the way, take 2 days to make the trip, and actually enjoy it and maybe learn something. For many of us, the process is as much fun or even more fun than the end result.

Hence, I drive a 30 year old Ranger that I modify and maintain myself. And I tell my navigation software "avoid highways".

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I had a good time playing with a calculator when I was drafting. It's been so long ago I can't remember too many details, but it did get me through 7 or 8, 12 to 16 story buildings in Los Calinas SP This guy bought around 3000 acres of pure swamp outside of Dallas, right near the D-FW airport, and that was where the buildings were built, on 60-80 foot piers.

I have only been near it once but was not wanting to linger so I didn't drive through there.
I wouldn't readily recognize any of them easily now, but most of them had canal access with water taxi's and such

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Had a new one, went to install software on my "new" laptop at work that just got "upgraded" to windows 11 and the full cloud BS, had to put in the administrator username and password to install it, right clicked and ran as administrator for good measure, said it was good to go and should have put a shortcut on the desktop, no link, went to the start menu, nothing where it should be, searched in the start menu area and it didn't find anything... so I repeated the install like 8 times getting more frustrated every time, went to my computer at my desk that's on the same profile to see if the link installed on there and no... Turns out we had to go to the folder on the "C" drive (in parenthesis because it's all cloud BS now I think) and the program was there, pinned it to the start menu. This garbage isn't user friendly anymore... apparently you're just supposed to surf the web and play games with computers anymore...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals