• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Why doesn't Ford bring diesel Rangers to the US?

Would you buy a Ford Ranger with a diesel engine? (If Yes, pick more than one)

• No

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Yes

Votes: 52 92.9%
  • + only a four cylinder to get better fuel mileage

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • + only a six or larger to get better power

Votes: 24 42.9%
  • + only if the price isn't more than 10% higher than the gas models

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • + only if the price isn't more than 25% higher than the gas models

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • + only a 4WD model

Votes: 34 60.7%
  • + only a quad-cab

Votes: 15 26.8%

• Total voters

ducarngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
And for that matter, why no crew cab Rangers? They are much nicer than the Sporttrack thing.

Double Cab 4x4 with new 2.5-litre Duratorq TDCi 105 kw (143 PS) diesel engine. 15'' steel wheels with 235/75 R15 tyres. Double-skinned steel pick-up box with 2-position drop-down tailgate, pick-up box outer tie-downs and load rest. Electrically-operated door mirrors with black housings. Body colour front grille. Optional metallic paint. Tinted glass. Integrated single CD/AM/FM/MP3 audio system with 4 speakers. Two height-adjustable rear seat head restraints. Child-proof rear door locks.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
thats a good question.

i tell ya what.

if we organize 4-6000 people to show up in dearborn with 600 or higher credit scores to bitch about no diesel...the s/a 4door truck will be in the showrooms within a week.

so are we serious about this or not?

ducarngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Serious?

I drove a diesel Nissan Micra while in Portugal last year -- I got about 60 mpg.

Specs on the UK Ranger with diesel are 32mpg combined (city/highway), however it is based on the Mazda and is different from the US version.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
yeah...i am serious.

call world and ask em.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If people buy what they already have......

Henry ford himself said it best when asked why he didn't work on the quality issues of the Model-T. His response? "People still buy them".

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
most people here wont know what a micra is.

diesel micras get 60 mpg...push 70 freeway cruise. comparativly...take that prius and shove it comes to mind. no one knows why they are not here.

emmisions?...my ass. good enough for the eu it has to be green right:taunt:

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
thats a good question.

i tell ya what.

if we organize 4-6000 people to show up in dearborn with 600 or higher credit scores to bitch about no diesel...the s/a 4door truck will be in the showrooms within a week.

so are we serious about this or not?
I've got good credit and I'll show up but until my stroker dies i won't need one. It may never die tho. RB

ducarngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
most people here wont know what a micra is.

diesel micras get 60 mpg...push 70 freeway cruise. comparativly...take that prius and shove it comes to mind. no one knows why they are not here.
they can google it. if you want to see what companies are offering in europe, just type "www.ford.co.uk" or "www.toyota.co.uk"

Micras come in 2dr and 4dr. Gas and Diesel. Gas versions get about 45mpg and diesel get about 60+. They are small, but nowhere near as small as the "Smart" car
http://www.autobytel.co.uk/NewCars/NewCarDetails.aspx?Car=38530

emmisions?...my ass. good enough for the eu it has to be green right:taunt:
i think there are minor differences in the EURO3/4/5 standards and the EPA's. I think the issue is getting the car certified (expensive) and having enough sales to justify the support network.

For me, I don't see why Ford doesn't make all their trucks diesel. maybe one or two gassers. If it's a work vehicle, diesel makes more sense esp if you are hauling/pulling anything besides air.

Last edited:

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
i read that it would be a direct competitor to the f-150,and as long as america is hung up on full size trucks it won't happen.theres a reason they sell 1 ton rangers down south.

that said i want one(the motor) so bad it hurts...lol

chittybangbang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it's a work vehicle, diesel makes more sense esp if you are hauling/pulling anything besides air.
Were talking about rangers right?These are light duty trucks not a Kenworth.Between the cost of diesel and the premium of buying a diesel motor what advantage of owning one? Its no wonder the nobody has brought a small diesel p/u to the US or Canada.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
European Union regulations are stricter than ours on the cetane and sulfur content of fuels but are actually less stringent on the diesel vehicle itself. At least in NY, California and most New England. Meaning where the largest metropolitan areas are. (read: population concentration)

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Were talking about rangers right?These are light duty trucks not a Kenworth.Between the cost of diesel and the premium of buying a diesel motor what advantage of owning one? Its no wonder the nobody has brought a small diesel p/u to the US or Canada.

you can tow on par compared to a 4x4 4.0 and operate without power penalty in reg driving. something the wheezer 1st gen mits engine couldnt do. a 4 wheezer in the same ext cab or four door 4x4 truck will die a horrible death and be frustrating to drive and get comparativly horrid mpg for usage return. on the other hand a reg 2wd wheezer gasser compared to a reg cab 2wd diesel things really get ugly. that case really opens up milage capacity if its just a general use driver over 100k. diesel is still a win win in a ranger.

at mid 30's mpg it adds up fast. its not a 6 k cost offset for the engine. more like 3300. i spent 3 k on gas in the first quarter of this year.

if you get a new car every year its likely not worth it unless the reason you get a new car every year is cause you run a 100k a year.

i dont own anything with less then a 190k on it.

based on a 100k ownership period the diesel looks good. if you go trade for new under that and its bad. then again with the thought from the manufacturers opines on the lease options being reformed these days things can change quickly.

over a 100 k the ranger works out fine with a diesel. at 3.70 a gal for gas avg over that 100k period its over 19k, where as the diesel at 4.25 a gal for diesel avg in the same period comes in at 14 k.

and thats just for normal use. heavy use is where it really pays off. especially when you know how to cut 30% off that fuel bill with other alternatives, which is what many of us do.

in the scenario above i would spend 9-9500 on fuel max over the gassers 19 g.

so, it really does make me wonder why theres not diesel rangers here.

but i feel most of it is strictly due to ignorance. people just dont look at shit for what it really is....

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
the cost of diesel isn't that much more than gas. when you're talking 25 mpg in a gasser to 35mpg in a diesel it's worth paying the extra 10 cents a gallon.... not to mention the longevity and power advantages that come along with a diesel. Plus it would make one heck of an offroad crawler.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
so, it really does make me wonder why theres not diesel rangers here.

but i feel most of it is strictly due to ignorance. people just dont look at shit for what it really is....
the ranger suffers from this in general,a great little truck but its not trendy so its got a lackluster rep. with the public.

sides ,bobby we let everyone use deisel and the price will go up:secret:

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
"if we let everyone use diesel the prices will go up" .... everyone uses gas but diesel is more expensive... it costs less to refine than gas and diesel is availible to the public right now. i'd say of 1 out of 15 personal vehicles I see now is a diesel... that dosen't make much sense.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals