• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

will it work. no ebrake

powerranger262

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
This may be a stupid question, but I am far from a drum brake guru. I have a 02 with drums in the back. I just rolled in a used rearend, but I don't really want to mess with the brakes on it for another week. My question is, do I have to have the ebrake cables hooked up inside the drums in order for the brakes to still work, or can I run it like that with no ebrake? Not sure if they keep tension on something else inside there or not.
Like I say, sorry for the dumb question, but I'm just trying to get this thing back on the road ASAP.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
you can run it without the ebrake cables. just make sure you bleed the hydraulic part of the system.

why don't you just take the couple extra minutes to hook up the cables?

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
It really doesnt take long to hook it up but im not sure about having to be hooked up

powerranger262

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I plan on bleeding the brakes. But I didn't plan on replacing the pads/rotors yet. I have to take everything apart to hook that up first right? If there is a way to hook it up with everything intact I'm all for it, but it doesn't look like it.
They clipped the ebrake cable about six inches out of the drums on each side from the J yard. I just want to strap my cables up real good out of the way until next weekend when I can do a full brake job back there. I know it's really not the way to do things, but I just want to give my buddy his truck back that he has borrowed me for the last 2 weeks.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
You have to remove the rear lining to access the lever that the cable is attached to. You don't need to hook it up for the brakes to work but it should only take half an hour to do both sides (assuming you don't have any other issues)

powerranger262

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Now I have to do it right. Went to bleed the brakes and the one bleeder on the pass. rear is seized tight. Picking up all new cylinders and brake parts to put in it. At least it's done now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals