• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Windshield wiper controls?

D.T.Starr

July 2009 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Does anyone know how the wiper speed is regulated on a 1990 ranger? I have removed all the stock wiring harness from the truck and want to wire in high and low speed with a 3-way toggle. I tested the four wires going to the wiper motor. By grounding the white wire and sending 12V to the blue/red wire I get high speed. I cannot get any other movement by any other combination of the four wires. Can anyone provide some insight?

D.T.Starr

July 2009 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It has an "internal governor" that looks to be part of the multi-fuction switch. I haven't had one apart, so can't say for sure. This controls motor function. If you are trying to wire direct, you will have to put some type of resistor in line with the wiper motor to drop the voltage to slow the speed such as the do on the heater blower motor.:)shady

ernieb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Mitchell book at library

I am currently tracing down my wiper issue with a '91 Supercab Ranger.
I am assuming the 90 and 91 are identical.

My haynes manual was pretty good with wiring diagrams, but my problem is I only have wipers on "hi". I get nothing on "low" or any interval setting.

Anyway, I went to public LIbrary and checked out the Mitchell manual for my model. It has really good info...color coding for your wiper motor, even gave the pin-0ut and Ohm readings for the "multicunctional switch".

That should help.

I just need to figure out wich black box under the dash is my interval module or governor. My motor checks good, my switch checks good...last thing is the governor.

Hope this helps.
Ernie:huh:
PS. Post your interval module on E-bay, I need one:icon_hornsup:

91wannabe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok, i gotta a tough one for you guys. my wipers wont work at all!! i got them to work a little this morning, but they were sluggish. i was having turn signal problems so i bought a new switch and i figured that would fix my wiper problem too. but the only thing that happens is the relay just clicks. does anyone have a wiring diagram of the switch for the wipers? its a 91 super cab. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx guys.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Does anyone know how the wiper speed is regulated on a 1990 ranger? I have removed all the stock wiring harness from the truck and want to wire in high and low speed with a 3-way toggle. I tested the four wires going to the wiper motor. By grounding the white wire and sending 12V to the blue/red wire I get high speed. I cannot get any other movement by any other combination of the four wires. Can anyone provide some insight?
Not sure, but I know I upgraded my first 88 Ranger from a standard switch to an intermittent switch by just swapping in the switch...all the wires and everything connected throught the stock wiring harness...that was my first "UPGRADE"...would not go back to the stock on/off switch for anything...

ernieb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Transmission
Manual
MItchell Manual

Sorry,
I don't have the schematic...but I found exactly what you are looking for at my local library.

You don't even have to be a card carring member...they will let you copy it straight from the book.

You might try Autozone's "repair guides".
Here is a link...but I still needed to get the Mitchell book at the library to check the actual pin-out of the switch.

http://www.autozone.com/shopping/repairGuide.htm?pageId=0900c1528018efd2

Good luck...
Ernie

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals